Tornado hits The National museum of the US Airforce at Wright Patterson AFB 2/28/24

Looks like the public areas were mostly spared.
Some historic buildings were damaged and one of the restoration hangers

1709245613678.jpg

If you havent been there its worth the trip(Dayton Ohio).. 8th wonder of the world..... and free.

If you search tornado Wright Patterson AFB about 50 articles out now.

Its not exactly tornado alley down there.. but when I was visiting a couple years back was when the tornado clobbered the Meijer distribution center that was fairly close(20miles) to there.
link: https://wwmt.com/news/local/ohio-to...on-center-local-distribution-impacts-unlikely

Last edited:
I was there last summer. Since they have many free scooters, I want to take my uncle next summer. WW2 vet.

Hope it is cleaned up by then. Absolutely worth the time.

Rod

I was there last summer. Since they have many free scooters, I want to take my uncle next summer. WW2 vet.

Hope it is cleaned up by then. Absolutely worth the time.

Rod
It was mostly the private areas where they work that were "clobbered" from the news the "main attraction" of 4 huge hangers and the missile silo seem to have been spared anything catastrophic.

Isn't that where the Roswell flying saucer is stored?
my first visit back in like 2011, the experimental, and presidential galleries were still in a hangar on the base proper.
You had to go through a minor background check to take the bus over there...
as the guide was leading us into the hanger, one of the jokers in our group made that joke... "Where's the UFO wreckage?"

That's unfortunate. I'm sure they'll recover, but it will take time and money to do so.
It appears at this point no one was hurt; no mention of injuries.

I was there just last year in the summer; had a great time!
It’s one of my favorite places; my son is a huge aviation nut (he flew a Piper Warrior II for his 8th birthday) and I get to see one of the greatest planes in history, the SR-71.

I’m filled with awe and pride that my grandpa was a hydraulics engineer for that project!

IMG_2066.jpeg

I need to go soon. I haven’t been since I was a little kid.
my last visit was a year or 2 ago... They TRIED to get one of the Shuttles, Specifically Atlantis, as it was Primarily used for AF missions/payloads ( is what i remember reading at the time) but, no... They Did get a Shuttle trainer though...

I always like the B-36 bomber, with the display H-bombs. Last time I was there, some doofus father was taking pictures, posing his young daughters with H-bombs.

When I was a young kid, we had a family farm near Westover AFB in Massachusetts. Every summer day was like an air show. Saw the last operation of the B-36, loads of B-47, and the arrival of the B-52

I always like the B-36 bomber, with the display H-bombs. Last time I was there, some doofus father was taking pictures, posing his young daughters with H-bombs.
that 2011-ish visit i mentioned earlier, I took pictures of Myself (Fat Man), and My nephew (Little Boy) with the replicas of those Bombs in the WWII gallery....

Back