Looking to sell a Tablet - what do I need to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As part of a promotion when purchasing new cell phones, we received a new Samsung Galaxy TabA tablet.
That's all fine and dandy but I have little to no use for such things (two smartphones and a desktop at home, and a PC at the office).

So my question is, what do I need to do to ensure nothing of security/privacy is being compromised? (the tablet is still new in the box and hasn't been removed/used yet).
When we received this tablet they included a SIM card with it (taped to the box).

Considering I'm looking to sell this to a private buyer, I do not want them having access to my data/account with Bell here in Canada.
Also, would I sell it with the provided SIM card? or get the buyer to use their own?

thanks in advance

If it is still blank, then I would just sell the tablet WITHOUT the sim card. The tablet shouldn't require the SIM card to be used as it can still operate off of wifi, so let the purchaser either get a SIM card for it or operate it without one. If they set it up for you at the store, you should be able to perform a factory reset on it and then sell it.

if its never been opened then just sell it. only if you logged in on it would there be concern. the sim is probably there so someone can activate it if they wanted to get data. its just a piece of plastic until the number are in the system . i would just toss it in the trash

If it's still in the box and unopened, then there's nothing of yours that personal on it. The SIM card only allows it to work on a certain networks, and if it was never unboxed and activated then it shouldn't be attached to your account. Usually they actually have to wake it up and actually put the ESN on your account. Nothing about a tablet device on your cellular data account? Then it's not connected to it.

I've sold an old iPad 3G without any problems; Just cancelled the cellular service for it, did a factory reset, and it was back in the same state when it was still in the box. Next person would have had to sign up for their own cellular service and credentials for it.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
When we received this tablet they included a SIM card with it (taped to the box).

Sounds like the phone carrier "activated" that SIM card and it's linked to your account so definitely do not send it with the tablet. The vast majority of people will only use a tablet on WiFi anyway and not be interested in data service for it.

Thanks for the info guys.

After doing some research I found the current market price and have priced it accordingly (without the SIM card).
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back