Looking into a Wood Stove

Power cord for the pellet stove arrived today. Good news is the motherboard lit up and not showing any fault. There is a blinking light that is designed to show a fault. None here. Bad news, not getting any auger or blower response. It's a Whitfield 20 (Lennox design) with an "eye" I will have to check to see if it's dirty or hindered.

You could have some registers cut in the floor between the basement and second floors to allow heat to rise, though fire regulations may not allow that in your area. Also, I would not even consider using the fireplace for more than decoration. They are extremely inefficient at heating. You might consider installing an insert of some kind in that fireplace, though you way need to have your old chimney lined to make it safe.

In my old house I put in a fireplace insert and the proper sized chimney pipe and heated a 2,000 sqft house . The fan unit was the what made it heat so well.

I loved the Avalon Ranier wood stove I had in PA. Bought it used for $250 and it had a polished brass door. The creeps who bought our house insisted on having the Avalon when we moved. I'd do it again if my house and ceiling layout was right.

the coalpail.com has lots of info on many alternative heating options. you can use a power vent in place-without a chimney!! lots to know + learn + my formerly cheep coal went to $325 a ton in the coal region of PA. i have the smallest hand fired harman in my house + its not fired yet because it heats TOO much!!! coal is great but like wood is xtra work but il burns long + hot or slo + eze!!

Back