Looking hard at Kumho ECSTA ASX

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE92s are horrible. I can't believe they still sell them...for top-dollar. Anyway, Bridgestones...I've had most every Turanza and Potenza and still...not the same wet grip as other brands.

Was apprehensive changing to cheap rubber here....

Previous radials were Michelin Pilot Sport AS ....

Installed Kumho Ecsta ASX in August .....

I love them, 80% of Michelin's performance at 50% of the price. (83$ + S/H vs 173$ + S/H) *Tire rack. Also a 40$ Man. Rebate to boot.

JA JA JA, they are quiet, Michelins needed Radio loud on highway. The Kumhos are like the OE GY Eagle GA's quiet and smooth. Puts the passengers to sleep on cruise control.

Chances are may buy them again. Michelin is a status symbol of course. Then again keeping up with the Joneses is a fools game too
smile.gif
A Korean friend tells me over there they cost twice as much. We get Kumho cheap due to dumping.

I have Kumho Ecsta HP4 tires on my wife's car. I don't know how they compare to ASX but these tires were pretty good on wet pavement, ice and snow during their forst 30k miles. Lately they seems to oversteer a little on sharp highway ramps at 45-50 mph during rain.

I got the ASX! I toiled over the choice between:

(205/55-16)

Conti Extreme $90 -Had them before and they were great, but reports are of non-balancing tires, which I hate to endure like I did with my Falkens...cost me $100 to return them. Lesser handling scores than ASX in test. Good in snow, which I wanted...but I like to try new tires I have not yet used.

Avon $90 -Heavy-Duty tire, but I have a light car. Skeptical of Cooper. Noise an issue. Not a contender.

TRZ $89 -Curently on my CRV, love them on that car. Seriously considered them for my Acura eeven though not a speed-rated tire. Handling scores generally were as good as ASX, but wet braking took an extra 10ft over ASX/CEC. If they were cheaper, a hit. Although I want a long-lasting tire, I have some Michelin HX here for that.

ASX- durable, good performing and cheap. Appropriate for my RSX.

PS the Yoko V4S would have been "appropriate" too, but I have a friend who's V4S came apart on him. I have a set of them here that I bought used. Kinda got ripped-off on them so I am bitter. I did have them on the car for a few days, they squealed. Also I hear they are not good in snow. I'll report on them later on after I put em back on. Kumho ASX, ~yea~!

Please report back on ASX's after a decent winter storm or two. My wife's Legacy GT has 17"(215/45/17) tires that are quite expensive and the only tires available are ultra high performance tires and a few high performance tires. She does not drive very aggressively around corners.

I think you would be safe ordering them if you need tires. I'll let you know how they work out. $61+shipping for 205/55-16 is awesome. I'm used to spending $100.

Please report back on ASX's after a decent winter storm or two.

LOL I will not take any chances on that. This means I may have to skip premium ** Blizzak WS50 and opt for Cheapo Winterforce
smile.gif

Quote:

The RE960 a/s has superior wet grip in the few miles I have put on.

I believe tirerack.com concurs with this in their test of ultra-high performance tires and the rep I spoke to there. The truth is you cannot apply anything about a brand, you really should be brand/model specific. Every tire maker has winners and a balance of losers.

I agree RE92's are not the best, I have had them OEM three times over from a 95 Honda Civic to my current WRX & Legacy GT.

RE92's are terrible.

Kumho Ecsta ASX are suprisingly good...but I havent driven them in winter conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back