Looking for way to easily remove old ball joint

Went to replace the lower ball joint on my car. I put it in the press and the joint didn’t budge but the whole spindle assembly bent instead. When i get a used assembly in i want to remove the old ball joint easily so as not to damage the new assembly. What are some good ways to relax the ball joints friction fit. Maybe drilling a bunch of holes through the back of the joint?

Yeah I just drove 'em out for the first time with an air hammer, albeit on a 10b/D44 front. Was stupid fast and easy. I had always used a BJ press in the past but setup takes way longer, as does a threaded spindle by nature.

From now on I'm sending 'em across the bench with the air hammer and only using the BJ press for installation :)

Yeah I just drove 'em out for the first time with an air hammer, albeit on a 10b/D44 front. Was stupid fast and easy. I had always used a BJ press in the past but setup takes way longer, as does a threaded spindle by nature.

From now on I'm sending 'em across the bench with the air hammer and only using the BJ press for installation :)
I actually air hammer the new one in, too. Put a socket over it and hammer it home.

Just did one two weeks ago on a v6 Mustang. it wouldn't budge until I heated it up and used two pickle forks coming in at 180 degrees from each other and hitting one with a 4 pound hammer. That broke it loose of the spindle. Then I used a ball joint press to push it out of the lower control arm.
Heating the spindle was a must, nothing was working until I put some heat on it and it took about two hits of the hammer to break free once heated.

Didn't try a air hammer as my 5 gallon compressor runs my air hammer for all of 3 seconds! Time for a bigger compressor.

I do have a ball joint press which i used to put in the new one. Issue is the joint sits in a pocket which doesn’t allow the press to get in there for removal
IMG_3126.jpeg

I use a large bore air hammer, it knocks them right out. Without that it is hard but can be done by hitting it all abound the joint with a hammer than use the hammer to knock it out, sometimes a torch helps to heat around it.
If you want to do this kind of work in the rust belt on an older car you need a bigger compressor and tools for the job.

Reactions: D60
I use a large bore air hammer, it knocks them right out. Without that it is hard but can be done by hitting it all abound the joint with a hammer than use the hammer to knock it out, sometimes a torch helps to heat around it.
If you want to do this kind of work in the rust belt on an older car you need a bigger compressor and tools for the job.
I have an air hammer i just never thought about using it considering i have a 20ton press. I have seen people online try buring them in the ground then beating them out with a hammer but the air hammer sounds good.

Air hammer also works fantastic for control arm bushings (on older vehicles, at least). Knocked old one out and new ones in on my 72 Pinto in about 2 minutes. :)

Ok yall the air hammer was the ticket. Wish i knew about that but i dont work on cars for a living. Held the arm in the press and then worked it out with the air hammer going around the joint in a circle
IMG_3148.jpeg

I use the Thor to remove tie rods from buses. Works very well with a Proto air hammer pickle fork bit.

Reactions: D60
Back