Looking for some quick info on sbc oil pan sizes.

Im picking up some valve covers from Craigslist today for my sbc. The seller also has a sbc oil pan he is getting rid of. Its pretty old and appears to be an oem oil pan. My oil pan on my 78 chevy k20 has a big patch on the side of the pan. I tried googling but i can find any information on if all sbc oil pans are the same depth or if they are different for a car vs a truck application. I dont know how deep my current pan is to compare it to the pan for sale. Does anyone know if a generic car pan is shorter than a truck pan or if they are the same depth?

I'm not an expert on this, but I just looked up 1978 K20, Camaro, and Caprice on Rockauto, and the same pan is listed for all three. There was a note about no dipstick on the pan/late design, but the on-pan dipstick must go way back. The same pan is listed for 1970 models as 1978.

I'm not an expert on this, but I just looked up 1978 K20, Camaro, and Caprice on Rockauto, and the same pan is listed for all three. There was a note about no dipstick on the pan/late design, but the on-pan dipstick must go way back. The same pan is listed for 1970 models as 1978.
Thanks. I didn’t even think to cross reference rock auto and that’s what i normally do to check parts.

Back