Looking for single oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Mazda 6 and a 2016 Mazda CX5 both with 2.5 liter motors. This is the first time I have owned multiple cars having the same viscosity (0w20) requirements. I would like to use the same oil for both cars and since both use the same oil filter this could become a real piece of cake for future changes. The 6 has had free dealer changes up to now. The last change was my last freebie. The dealer for the CX5 only offered one free service.

The 6 is our trip car. We roll up the mileage on it as it gets great fuel mileage (38+mpg on the highway). The CX5 is the grocery getter and urban hauler. It does see trips into the mountains and lots of maintained dirt roads. Both of these vehicles could be keepers. I usually sell a car before it's warranty expires.

I know that most synthetics are very durable and just about any would probably fullfil my needs. I'm just wondering if there is a standout oil that would cover both vehicles somewhat differing usages. Mazda seems to push high moly requirements. Is this important?

I think Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 in the 0w20 viscosity are great oils. If you do it yourself you can buy either at Walmarts for ~ $25. Mazda Oil With Moly is also a great oil but, rather expensive at ~ $7.50 per quart at the dealer. Ed

I agree with Eddie. Also consider NAPA 0W20 when its on-sale. I tend to run that in my Subaru. Almost any brand name oil that meets the ratings (probably SN) should be fine. Walmart has a long shelf full.

Avoid the unknown brands at the Dollar Store. Even if they are, well only a dollar!

Originally Posted By: Donald
I agree with Eddie. Also consider NAPA 0W20 when its on-sale. I tend to run that in my Subaru. Almost any brand name oil that meets the ratings (probably SN) should be fine. Walmart has a long shelf full.

Avoid the unknown brands at the Dollar Store. Even if they are, well only a dollar!

+1 Any API/SN synthetic oil you can get at walmart is totally fine (avoid dollar store stuff). I like PP and Mobil 1, but that is like preferring chocolate over strawberry ice cream. They are all good.

I have used Quaker State, Napa, and Pennzoil Ultra 0w20 oils in my 2011 Mazda3. No problems, or any noticeable difference. Any name brand 0w20 should do fine. Mine has the older 2.5L engine.

IMO......Quaker State Ultimate Durability (QSUD) 0w20.....would be your best pick. It has higher Moly than most of the quality synthetics, and has worked well in my vehicle.

Used with a Fram ULTRA filter (or Fram Tough Guard).... and a 8K to 10K OCI, should work well for both you Mazdas.

Can't go wrong with PP, cheap, easy to find and works well. I'd pick it any day over Mobil 1 personally. I like the pure plus GTL base stocks they use mainly, much less impurities in the oil than Mobil 1 or any other synthetic manufactured from crude base oils. Pretty sure the GTL is the secret ingredient that cleans and keeps the engines super clean over the interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back