Looking for recommendations for VQ40DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I stumbled across a few posts and analysis for the said engine, but I'm looking for a more personal (for lack of better terms?) recommendation.

Truck ('06 Frontier) has 56,xxx miles on it. I travel 400mi/wk for work: ~70MPH highway. Weekends involve what a truck should be doing: home improvement hauling, to/from 'camp, etc.
grin2.gif
It is to be driven in NE climates - full summers and winters.

For all my previous 'daily drivers I have just used Valv dino in the mfgr reccomended weight. In this case it's 5W30 for all-season. I've only done two changes - they were at 5k with this oil.

My only grip with the valvoline is I seem to have slight valvetrain noise at idle - possible indicative of this engine, I don't know. My last 16v-DOHC 4cyl (KA24DE) Nissan was noisy also.

I'm looking for suggestions on both an entry-grade full synthetic and something a notch above, which can be found locally (auto stores, walmart, etc). In the past I have used M1 0W40 in the KA24DE immediately after a rebuild break-in, and it while it ran OK, it later began to burn oil.
21.gif

Thoughts? I'd prefer to keep OCI's at 7500 tops, so that's the only cost factor.

Thanks kindly! I plan to get an analysis done after I'm about 1/2 way through this OCI.
Jamie

I should also add - I was always under the impression 'you can't go wrong with an OEM filter', until I came across this forum. Thoughts on the OE filters from Nissan? It seems *mighty* small for a 4.0... I picked up 4-5 from the dealer when I bought the truck, but I'll gladly switch for a better alternative.

Some Titan (5.6l) owners have reported valvetrain noise with this - switching to M1 0W40 or 10W30 has helped them.

Any thoughts on PP 5W30 or 10W30?

I have a 2005 Pathfinder with this engine. My year had an oil recommendation of 5W30, 10W30, and 10W40, all in SL formulation. I am presently using Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W30, as the M1 HM formulations are still SL. I have 7600 miles on the present fill, and it has consumed about a third of a quart. I plan on changing it at one year, which will be about 10,000 miles.

My next fill will be the new 5W30 M1 HM, which has recently been announced. My Pathfinder has about 42,000 miles on it now.

I have a 1987 Z241 and 2005 QR25DE, I have driven Nissan now for over 30 years, I use HDEO 0-30 XD3 syn or HDEO conv,Nissans seem to like heavier oil, I also like the extra HDEO protection for Nissans timing chains and keeping them quiet as possible, those chains will go 200,000 miles.

Filters, my brother tears down a lot of filters, these Nissan OEM filters are a JOKE, cardboard [censored]. We find Baldwin as the best choice, we tear them apart and find the construction stellar and the filtering media actually works in a Baldwin rather than just the bypass in a Nissan OEM. On my 87 Nissan I use the large Ford Baldwin B2, on my Nissan QR25DE I use the B1402, once warrantee is up I will go to a larger Baldwin filter for better flow. The B1402 is a bit larger than the B1400 (actually specific OEM replacement spec filter) OEM Nissan allows both these filter because Nissan makes both these filter sizes to fit my engine with in warrantee acceptance. The B1402 is about 1 inch longer, better.

In Balwin web site you can get all bypass specs, thread sizes, diameters and lengths for each filter etc. You can actually enter thread size and get list of all filters to fit, you can also email thier tech and get all absolute beta ratios on filters you have interest in. Baldwin is a great company,it is American quality, not cardboard, great pricing for quality too, second to none web site for research on filters.

I drive my Nissan 05 in the exact same conditions each OCI, my oil is much lighter now on OCIs with Balwin filters because the filter media actually gets dark and filters the oil rather than just the bypass with Nissan OEM. I have always used the same oil too, consitant comparison.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back