Looking for recommendations for a 2004 Honda S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This is my first post here, and it is with regards to my 2004 Honda S2000.

First a little background on what brings me here. The car has ~31,000 miles on it, and sees lots of autocross action, as well as daily driving. Ambient air temperatures at an autocross can often approach 100*F on a hot day. The engine's fuel cut occurs at just over 8,000RPM, and the car spends most of track time above 6000RPM.

The owners manual specifies 10W30, with a provision for 5W40, if the car is driven in temperatures under 0*F.

Previously I had been running Mobil 1 10W30, but I had a UOA done awhile ago which stated that the oil was performing like a 5W30. The OCI was 3000 miles. I'd also like to move away from Mobil 1 as it has a reputation for killing timing chain tensioners in Honda S2000s (although I have no idea why, it just seems to be a common component in many TCT failures)

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good synthetic alternative that will hold up to extreme temeratures and revs, and still be suitable for daily driving, while not breaking the bank. Also, how much stock should I put in Honda's call for a 10W30 over a 5W40? I've thought about switching to Shell Rotella T 5W40 or Motul 5W40, but I'm unsure if this is an appropriate weight for my purposes. I have also considered RedLine 10W30.

Any ideas, comments?

Thanks.

What about Shell Rotella T 10W-30? It's not synthetic, but it's very robust. Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic seems like a good choice, too. Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 is another good choice
thumbsup2.gif
You can get a $15 mail-in rebate right now if you buy 5 quarts of it.

If you don't mind paying the extra for the Redline, you can't go wrong. It's meant for just that kind of conditions (hot, high revs, track driving). Is 3000 miles a normal OCI for you, or was it just because of the UOA results?

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 is another good choice
thumbsup2.gif

X2

Originally Posted By: mavm86
Previously I had been running Mobil 1 10W30, but I had a UOA done awhile ago which stated that the oil was performing like a 5W30.

Let me guess, another silly Blackstone Labs comment? WTH does that even mean? I've seen them make similar comments before. I can't even figure out how they determine that considering that they only test the viscosity at 100C.

Quote:

I'd also like to move away from Mobil 1 as it has a reputation for killing timing chain tensioners in Honda S2000s (although I have no idea why, it just seems to be a common component in many TCT failures)

Maybe give the new Castrol Edge 10w-30 a try if you want something that can be easily found on the shelf? Otherwise, Redline 10w-30 also sounds good.

Great car. I agree that Penzoil Platinum is a good choice. If you want the best, Amsoil SSO 0W-30 is what I use in my '03 S2000. But if you're not going to extend your OCIs, it may be overkill.

You might catch a little flack by some for suggesting Mobil 1 contributes to TCT failures - some folks are die-hard Mobil 1 supporters here. I've been criticized in the past for mentioning this.

My opinion, FWIW:

1. Redline 5W-30 or 10W-30 (both offer 40-weight like HTHS)
2. Amsoil SSO (0W-30), ASL (5W-30), ATM (10W-30) or AFL (5W-40)
3. Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40 (better than their 20 and 30 weights)
4. German Castrol 0W-30
5. Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30
6. Valvoline SynPower 10W-30

You might try Esso XD-3 0W30 or GC 0w30 in Canada. Both are thick 30 wts. that should do well in the Canadien winter.

Are you familiar with s2ki.com and s2kca.com?

WRT your M1 experiences, even if you place great weight in oil analyses, it helps to remind yourself that, whatever the UOA indicates ("good" or "bad"), the results are expressed in parts per million.

Redline is meant for your type of conditions. Plus, you can run it to a full normal OCI since it retains it's viscotity and HTHS very well. The 10w-30 has good flow and will protect like most 40wts.

I like M1 10w-30 HM, nice add pack and is SL rated. Easily found at Walmart, in our area $22 for 5qt jug
thumbsup2.gif

I am currently using Maxlife Blend 10w-40 in my '02 S2000, no problems thus far. Of course I live in Houston too :)

Although I am using GC in my 2004 S2000 now, I think AMSOIL ATM 10W-30 might be exactly what you are looking for. It is popular with S2K enthusiasts and will give you a 1 year OCI easily, even with Auto-Xing. Have fun!

Funny isn't it: recommend a 5W-40 in colder weather instead of regular dino 10W-30.
Ohh... wait.. maybe its because of the 5W?
Haha!
banana2.gif

Anyway..

Any xxW-30 will do I suppose.
IMO there is no need for 40 weights.
As mentioned: if you're not going to extend the OCI you might as well get the cheapest stuff.
The F22 is a well build power plant and is not hard on its oil.

I'm using Valvoline Maxlife FE 5W-30 now but I can't wait to get the SSO 0W-30 in there.
(waiting for the level to drop and put some more miles on the Maxlife)

Talking about oil level: any oil is going to be better than no oil: check the level frequently until you get an idea of oil consumption.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
What about Shell Rotella T 10W-30? It's not synthetic, but it's very robust. Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic seems like a good choice, too. Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 is another good choice
thumbsup2.gif

He's here in Canada, so no rebate for us here. But many Walmarts here are still selling 4.4 liter jugs of Pennzoil Platinum for only $21.88!

Wow, thanks for all the responses!

To answer a few questions that came up:

Yes, 3000 miles is the regular OCI for me.

The "performing like a 5W30" comment was from Blackstone.

I am on S2ki.com, under the same username.

I live on the west coast of Canada (Victoria, BC) so cold temperatures are a non-issue for me.

I've owned the car for ~18 months, and check the oil level at every fuel up, and it consumes very little. I've been using Mobil 1 since I bought the car (I've put 20,000 miles on it in that time).

I guess I'll give the Redline a try next oil change, and then do a UOA afterwards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back