Looking for Kawasaki engine Guru to chat with

SA1

Would like to chat with someone that is very knowledgeable with the kawasaki engines,specifically the FR 691v, someone that has worked on these engines and knows them inside and out. I MIGHT have come across something very rare that happen to one. I'd like to run it by a person or 2, to get there take on it and opinion. if you're someone I'm looking for PM me or leave your name and I'll PM you. Thanks

One more question, does anyone know off hand if that FR691v engine is a non interference or Interference engine

While on this subject. I'd like to know the differences in the FR-651v (21hp) and the FR691v (23hp) ?

Bore and stroke seem to be the same from what I've found online. Several parts have same part numbers between them ( camshaft) . Where does the 2hp difference come from?

While on this subject. I'd like to know the differences in the FR-651v (21hp) and the FR691v (23hp) ?

Bore and stroke seem to be the same from what I've found online. Several parts have same part numbers between them ( camshaft) . Where does the 2hp difference come from?
Most small HP differences in OPE engines with identical displacement are a result of different carburetor jetting size. For years, the common Briggs & Stratton flathead engines were rated between 3.5 - 5 hp...all as a result of different carburetors.

Most small HP differences in OPE engines with identical displacement are a result of different carburetor jetting size. For years, the common Briggs & Stratton flathead engines were rated between 3.5 - 5 hp...all as a result of different carburetors.
This was seen in some smaller outboards too. IIRC there were a few 10 or 15hp variants with only part changed... carb.

I cannot say for the current Kaw engines, but the HP diffs in the past have been related to carbs ... but not the way you think ...

It's not jetting. Believe it or not, it's the throttle shaft. To restrict HP, they restrict the amount of travel that allows the butterfly to open in the carb throat. I confirmed this once way back in the day in the FH series engines. They had 19, 21, 23 and 25 HP engines; all the same block/crank/displacement. You can go to the Kawpower site and drill down the parts lists. The ONLY difference was the throttle shaft; each has an external restrictor which limits travel to the carb opening up. Each engine had a different throttle shaft part number. All other things including the jets were identical. Hence, more travel restriction = less open = less power.

I had a 19hp Kaw FH series engine on my old Scag TigerCub. All I had to do was take a Dremmel to the restrictor (cut it off) and VIOLA !!! 25HP engine.

Again - I'm not sure that's true today; haven't had a reason to pull the parts lists to see if it's still the way they do it.

Last edited:
This was seen in some smaller outboards too. IIRC there were a few 10 or 15hp variants with only part changed... carb.
Yeah, that is true. Someone had a choked down 9.9 they sold as an 8. Can't remember who it was but IIRC their 6, 8 & 9.9 motors all had the same long block.

I've had plenty of these engines apart, and I believe they are an interference engine. If your engine somehow jumps time in these you usually have much larger problems and parts exiting the engine block as there is no belt or chain it's just gears.

The way you are trying to elicit help will take awhile. Describe the issue here and save yourself time.
Thanks but I found the guys I need to, I was trying to save a wack of posts of guesses and I think, most people never even saw this issues before, let alone in kawi, I talked to a couple kawi techs before asking here,they never seen it, so I figured I might as well start with the guys that work on these day in and out. thanks guys. post can be deleted if need be.

Back