Looking for home/auto insurance suggestions

The only real world experience I've had with an insurance company recently was with E insurance.
My wife's car was whacked by a driver with E insurance.
The repair was $6000 or so and we had absolutely no problems getting it fixed.

I did the Esurance quote and it was considerable higher than my renewal with State Farm

Wow, yeah, insurance threads are impossible.
Too many factors, glad I added in the last minute sentence at the end. 🙃
Important to check many websites every year.
I change insurance companies at the snap of a finger any time of year for a lower rate. Boat, cars, bike, house, and use 3 different companies as you know.
For the first time in years I haven’t been able to find a better rate from the mentioned companies. But, I will one day!!

I used to be faithful to State Farm when I lived in NY, I did A LOT of business with them as I also had a commercial operation too, never again with one company they raked me over the coals when I moved south and transferred my policies.

So after 20 years with State Farm and a recent large storm claim, they are dropping me. While I’m upset, it’s a sign to move on and not fight this.

I have a friend who is a farmers agent, so I am going to get a quote from him. But, all of you offer great advice regularly so I am looking to you for suggestions.

I’ll be insuring my two vehicles and my home. While I am willing to pay a bit more for better service, I do want a balance of price and service.

So, go with suggestions, stay away, and personal experiences.

Thanks.
Farmers did this to us. We had them for many years and after a hail storm we needed new roof, aluminum trim around all the windows on two sides of the house along with screens on same windows. Had a fiberglass roof on our garage get hit so bad it started leaking. We were also suppose to have replacement insurance but I guess we didn't read the fine print. They paid for most of it but dropped us at the end of the policy. There should be a law against them doing this, pay in all those years without a claim and one claim and they boot you.

Wow, yeah, insurance threads are impossible.
Too many factors, glad I added in the last minute sentence at the end. 🙃
Important to check many websites every year.
I change insurance companies at the snap of a finger any time of year for a lower rate. Boat, cars, bike, house, and use 3 different companies as you know.
For the first time in years I haven’t been able to find a better rate from the mentioned companies. But, I will one day!!

I used to be faithful to State Farm when I lived in NY, I did A LOT of business with them as I also had a commercial operation too, never again with one company they raked me over the coals when I moved south and transferred my policies.
I understand and agree with all that. Many factors including where you live, etc. I am not faithful to any company either. I had State Farm for years and switched when their rates went up and discounts for long term customers were taken away. I ended up going to Progressive. I was then contacted by my old State Farm agent a few years later and she said that they reinstated a lot of the discounts and wanted to requote things. I have been with them ever since simply because I can't find a better rate that saves me enough to switch, but I would if I could find something.

We went through our independent agent and ended up getting home/auto policies with Auto-Owners. Been with them over 25 years and no plans to change. No large claims yet, but service is received when needed. The best part is you won't seem them spending mega-dollars on tv ads.
I agree on the Auto Owners. Offered through a local agent. No frills, just good rates. They also have a nice web portal where you can see your vehicles/home policy's, get proof of insurance, statements, etc.

If Erie is in your state take a look. Been 20 years with them, shop around every couple of years, can't beat price and service. Like Amica they can be picky

^^^This^^^
I've been with Erie for about 20 yrs as well. 2013 I had a TORNADO just skip the edge of my property. Erie took care of all home damage and also paid for my 50 yr old spruce trees that were lost, no questions asked.
I don't even price shop anymore.

I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience with State Farm dropping you after a storm claim. It's great that you're looking for suggestions and advice on finding a new insurance provider.

One option could be to get a quote from your friend who is a Farmers agent. Since you already have a relationship with him, it could make the process smoother and more comfortable for you. It's always a good idea to shop around and get quotes from multiple providers to compare prices and coverage options.

As for personal experiences, it's difficult to provide specific recommendations without knowing your location and other details. However, you may want to consider looking into larger national insurance providers like Geico, Allstate, and Progressive, as well as regional providers like Amica and Erie Insurance.

When choosing a provider, it's important to consider not only the price, but also the level of customer service, coverage options, and ease of filing claims. Reading reviews and ratings from other customers can be a helpful way to gauge the quality of service offered by different providers.

Ultimately, the best provider for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Good luck with your search and I hope you find a provider that meets your needs and provides you with excellent service.

I feel for ya. Not only do you have to deal with getting the damage fixed in today's market, you have to shop for new coverage!

Price, availability and coverage varies so widely depending on where you live, what you own and what your situation is, it's impossible to say.

If I had to shop for insurance coverage today, id go with lowest cost. It's a heavily regulated industry. My take is the risk is on them, not so much on you provided you're not giving your money to some fly by night, sketchy contract deal.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience with State Farm dropping you after a storm claim. It's great that you're looking for suggestions and advice on finding a new insurance provider.

One option could be to get a quote from your friend who is a Farmers agent. Since you already have a relationship with him, it could make the process smoother and more comfortable for you. It's always a good idea to shop around and get quotes from multiple providers to compare prices and coverage options.

As for personal experiences, it's difficult to provide specific recommendations without knowing your location and other details. However, you may want to consider looking into larger national insurance providers like Geico, Allstate, and Progressive, as well as regional providers like Amica and Erie Insurance.

When choosing a provider, it's important to consider not only the price, but also the level of customer service, coverage options, and ease of filing claims. Reading reviews and ratings from other customers can be a helpful way to gauge the quality of service offered by different providers.

Ultimately, the best provider for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences. Good luck with your search and I hope you find a provider that meets your needs and provides you with excellent service.

At Verkhovets Law, we have extensive experience helping clients navigate the complexities of car accident cases. Our team of skilled lawyers can provide you with personalized guidance and support every step of the way. If you've been involved in a car accident, contact us at https://verkhovetslaw.com/car-accidents/ today to schedule a consultation.

Additionally, it's important to have a good understanding of your rights and options in the event of a car accident. If you're involved in a collision, it's important to seek medical attention and contact your insurance provider as soon as possible. You may also want to consider consulting with a car accident lawyer to help protect your rights and ensure you receive the compensation you're entitled to.

In addition to getting quotes from multiple insurance providers, there are other steps you can take to find the right insurance for your needs. One important factor to consider is the type of coverage you need. For example, if you own a home, you may need to have homeowners insurance that covers damage to your property in the event of a storm or other natural disaster.

You may also want to consider bundling your insurance policies, such as getting both auto and homeowners insurance from the same provider. This can often result in discounts and lower overall premiums.

Another option to consider is working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work with multiple insurance providers and can help you find the right coverage at the best price. They can also provide personalized advice and guidance based on your specific needs and budget.

When comparing insurance providers, be sure to also look at the level of coverage and deductibles offered. A lower premium may seem attractive, but if it comes with a higher deductible, it may end up costing you more in the long run.

It's important to remember that insurance providers can vary in terms of their coverage and customer service, so it's worth taking the time to do your research and find a provider that meets your needs and budget. By taking these steps and being an informed consumer, you can find the right insurance provider and have peace of mind knowing that you're protected in the event of an unexpected event.

For top of the line coverage Amica, they are very picky on who they insure but the service as an insured is second to none.
I had Amica for years with NO claims...Prices went up and up each year so I switched and saved for the same coverage with Liberty Mutual.. It pays to shop around each year..or go to a independant insurance dealer...

Back