Looking for High End MP3 player with AAA Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what qualifies as "high end" for you, but this iRiver player:
http://www.iriver.com/product/view.asp?pCode=001&pNo=73
uses AAA. My wife had one of the "popular prism-shaped design of previous models" years ago, it was a great product. Great build quality, good features & controls. It was stolen. She has an iRiver Lplayer now, which is iPod shuffle sized with features that blow the shuffle away.

jeff

Quote:
why with AAA battery? You can charge via USB...
Because I want to continue listening when the battery gets too low to operate the player. With my Centon 4GB I can simply flip another NIMH AAA battery into it and be back listening in a couple minutes. The Olympus recorder/music player I linked above has rechargable AAA batteries and will recharge them on the USB. Only problem with my $20 Centon is that the headphone jack is poor quality and is not making a good connection at times. I will be calling them, though I am about a month past the 1 year warranty. If not for that, I would go for their 8GB model at $25.

The Iriver is interesting but reviewers were not fond of the
joystick. Also seems pricy.

The Latte Espresso looks pretty good, but without an interchangable battery, I would need two units and switch them off while one is charging.

But what these things really need are two thumb wheels, one volume and one tone.

My wife never had any problem with the joystick on her old iRiver player. It had a nice solid, tactile feel to it. It's definitely an oddball compared to the various touchscreens, wheels, or iRiver's own "clix" control on some of their other players.

iRiver's are definitely more expensive per GB of storage than some other brands.

jeff

Well I guess the joy stick depends on the person. My Centon has a toggle and I can work it through my shirt pocket as well as the pause button. Joystick might be tough thru shirt pocket.

One of the nicest players out there is the Sansa Clip, but I would need two of them as it does not have the interchangable battery, but that is a pain in the neck. I think GPX has one that is 2 gig, but with a SD card slot and AAA battery, it's a cheap one about $30 but may be my best bet at this point if I get an 8GB card. Then I could flip cards for different artists (basically would need two cards, one 4-8 GB for Johnny Winter and Muddy Waters and one 2-4 GB for Bob Dylan. I don't listen to much else).

Regarding the Olympus, I wouldnt count on it working well as a music player. Its not designed for that purpose, and may not have the capability to reproduce music with the kind of fidelity you would like (look at the frequency response spec for exampe). Plus I doubt it has any capability to tailor the sound via equalizers, etc. and it cataloging and searching capabilites may be extremely limited.

I had a Sandisk E-series (E-260 maybe??) a few years ago that ran on AAA. You can still find them on clearnace occasionally. Other than a [censored] display, it worked well, sounded good and was reliable.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look up that older model Sandisk.

The Olympus has folder abilites for the music as well as equalizers. Think the freq response was pretty good. The key issues though for me are whether it will hold it's place when shut off.

So now I have an 8GB mp3 player. I called Centon about my defective headphone jack in the 4GB and even though it was a bit out of the warranty period, they let me return it for exchange. Since they were out of the 4GB units, they sent me an 8GB. Although during the period it was in the mail, I got used to a 2GB spare player I have and really liked that the batteries lasted about 30 hours vs the 8-12 of the Centon.

Do you really listen to music for that long and are you really away from a charger for that long? I listen to music for hours on end, but have never needed to stop due to low charge, that is unless I started with an already low battery.

I don't know if it's high end or not, but I used to use this one:

http://reviews.cnet.com/mp3-players/panasonic-sv-sd80/4505-6490_7-8010319.html

This thing had crazy battery life. It used a Ni-MH battery along with an AAA battery.....kind of a hybrid power supply. The long battery life claim is no joke.

The unit sounded great too. Especially when I switched to a pair of Etymotic earphones.

The bad was you HAD to use Real Player along with special software to download and load music onto the unit (copyright protection of sorts).

I can't use the little player anymore because the Ni-MH battery will no longer hold a charge. I purchased two new batteries when I bought the unit but these won't hold a charge even out of the packaging. I guess they have a finite shelf life even when unopened. New Ni-MH batteries are no longer available for it. It's a real shame.

I don't know if Panasonic even makes MP3 players anymore.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Do you really listen to music for that long and are you really away from a charger for that long? I listen to music for hours on end, but have never needed to stop due to low charge, that is unless I started with an already low battery.
Well, I generally run it until the battery gets so low that it shuts off. That makes it so that I need to pop a new battery in. I suppose if I put it on charge every time I am not using it then I may get along without changing batteries, especially if it has long battery life. Is there any harm to simply topping up a battery? I run them down to about 1.15 volts when it dies, the charger brings them up to about 1.4 and if I re-insert it in the charger it will take it up to nearly 1.5, which gives me significantly more listening time.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509

...I don't know if Panasonic even makes MP3 players anymore.
Interesting, too bad it won't work on AAA alone. I have never seen the Panasonic players.

I don't think there is any harm in running the newer batteries part way down, then recharging them - at least not from the limited reading and asking I've done. I believe the main problem was the NiCad batteries... They'd develop a charge memory.

I'll do it. The worst that can happen is I have to replace the batteries and they are all of $12 for a 4 pack, so no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back