looking for help on a 2002 2.3l Accord VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not used to honda's. Had one a long time ago, a 85 crx si, great car when your in your early twenties, going to college.CHICK MAGNET...anyway before I degress any farther..

I am trying to help out my sister in law, she wants to give the car to her daughter who is in another state..the problem is not much if any besides oil changes every three months and a new battery and tires , have ever been done to this car.

What do I need to get done, to bring it up to snuff..i know you guys won't let me down..Strange thing on the coolant and the atf they look and smell new and clean??? And the belts(mitsubitshi) look almost new???

What gives with that, she tells me she never had them serviced??

Timing belt!
Timing belt service will include a new water pump and fresh coolant.
Change the tranny fluid.
Drop the pan, clean it, and replace the filter.
Other than that, that generation of 4 cyl Accord should run almost forever.
Take a look at the brakes while you're at it.
The brake fluid should be changed if it's never been done.
How do the tires look?

105,000 miles, tires are brand new, brakes are good, just passed inspection, new battery and air filter

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Don't believe that model has a timing belt. Should have a timing chain.
Also time for new spark plugs.

It definitely does have a timing belt - we used to have a 2001 Accord with that engine.

I'll second what's already been said:
-timing belt (and water pump)
-spark plugs
-transmission fluid

How often are valve adjustments needed on these engines?

the 2.3 4 banger is a reliable car. great engine. than trans does fine with the 4-cyl but was stressed with the v6. there is no trans pan or filter.

I highly suggest a couple of drain-fills on the AT. I experimented with different ATFs in mine--- either stick with honda DW-1 or amsoil. I lost a similar-gen flawless crv trans to a multi-import atf--- maxlife IIRC.

Use honda oem PS fluid and swap out a couple pints with a turkey baster.

swap out the brake fluid.

I would check the lash on the exh valves at least. Hondas can get too tight with age though the 2.3 is not known for that.

Inspect rubber hoses. There aren't many.

The IACV can get sluggish on that car. if the idle sometimes dips after coming off a steady cruise when hot, it needs to be cleaned.

This is a great car. It should hopefully serve your fam well.

M

Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
Only thing I can think to add is the cabin air filter. Good luck.
Lol on the cabin filter. I have an 02.

Yes! You gotta take the dashboard apart! Beginning with the 2003 models,it's easy.

I have a 2000 Accord with the same drive train. I'll agree with the previous posts, but add a couple of comments. The transmission does not have a pan to drop or filter to change. You should drain and refill it 2 or 3 times to get the old ATF out. You can and should add a Magnefine ATF filter in the cooling line. Easy to do on the 4 cyl model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back