looking for good work boots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redwing steel toe, US made.

If its a work boot get steel toes.

I typically get a bit over 2 years out of them, so about $100 a year. Cheap for quality footwear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: Mykl
Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Rocky S2V
Oakley Assault
Reebok has some as well.

I thought we were talking about work boots not weekend warrior boots???

I had a pair of Rocky S2Vs that I wore for every weekday for a year, and almost never on weekends. They were comfortable but they didn't last as long as I would have liked.

I'm not sure what makes them "weekend warrior" boots.

I don't know possibly the title of the Rocky web site for the boots "Making you a better Warrior"

Also noted, I see more "Weekend Warriors" wearing those uncomfortable as heck Nike Boots.

Ill alternate my combat boots. Reebok wore out, I went to Oakleys, when those died a horrendous mountain death in Afghanistan, I went to Rockys.

and if someones going to knock Rockys for being a "Weekend Warrior Boot" then Ill knock timberlands for being a "Weekend Gangster Boot"

Now, on to steel toe suggestions.
My dad always wore Thorogood brand, Made in USA.
Some of the ones hes worn over 15 years
This pair lasted 5 years
http://www.supercasuals.com/Thorogood/Thorogood_804-4379.cfm
Had it resoled twice.

When he got Diabetes, plus old age and knee troubles, He went to http://www.supercasuals.com/Thorogood/Thorogood_804-4376.cfm
those.
Those lasted 9 Years, Resoled 3 times. once every two years at first, until he found a shop that had Vibram soles.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
RED WINGS

Agreed.

Here American made redwing boots will cost roughly 350 bucks.
Now just to be clear I wear my boots every day. Working or not.
I bought my first pair in Detroit many years ago. Prior to that I bought cheap 150 dollar boots. For that 150 I got boots that lasted a year or 2 and muddy stinky socks and feet.
I buy the transparent sole because I'm able to walk an 11/12 roof with them because the sole is slightly more grippy.
My first pair lasted 8 years working everyday with them and they were still waterproof. My socks came out just as white as they went in and no stink. I lost them camping.
I work for a living and have serious back problems. My red wings are the best boot I've EVER worn at any price.
I haven't bought the Chinese version nor am I interested in them. The American made ones are worth every penny of their asking price and the only footwear I own that extends my standing time onsite.
I even buy redwing shoes now,and of course my riding boots.
When looking for a boot they have to be triple stitched,breathable yet waterproof ant the tongue must be attached to the insides of the boot so water and mud cannot get by.
I can stand in water up to an inch lower than the boots top and my feet are dry. Not once have I sprayed them with waterproofer or dubbin.
There isn't much I'll splurge on in life. Good boots are worth their weight in gold. Spend a single day in the mud with boots of lesser quality,or trudge around on the jobsite with the ruts and uneven ground and very quickly you understand that foot comfort is of the utmost importance.
Redwing boots are the only footwear I will buy. Period.

i would have said upper range of about $150 but it would be a moot point now since i just bought some boots

i work for walmart... i can't drop $200+ on boots and if i did i'd want boots that will give me at least a solid 4-5 years before any major repairs or replacement are necessary

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I notice most RedWings are made in China.

You'll probably find most of their big sellers are not Chinese. Check any construction site - probably 95% of the guys are wearing the model 2245 work boots. Huge seller for Red Wing; that and the taller versions too. All US-made.

The suburban hipsters buying Red Wings as an alternative to Doc Martens or whatever buys the Chinese ones because they're cheaper.

Originally Posted By: AmishFury
i'm looking for something decent but not excessively expensive

i work in a tire and lube center so they will come in contact with automotive fluids as well as the degreaser we use

safety toe is preferred and i'd like an 8" boot

Red Wing. Many are even still US-made.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I notice most RedWings are made in China. They are comfortable but fall apart after 2 years of use. My employer pays up to $150 per year for safety shoe allowance so RedWing was my first choice, Timberland was my second choice.

My job is brutally-hard on boots. So far, the ONLY boots to last me more than a year are a pair of Red Wing 2491's! Yes, they're US-made.

Also note: RW's boots are fully resoleable.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Redwing steel toe, US made.

If its a work boot get steel toes.

I typically get a bit over 2 years out of them, so about $100 a year. Cheap for quality footwear.

Many RW boots have switched to a composite safety toe...lighter than steel & doesn't freeze your toes in the winter. (My 2491's are steel-toe.)

Originally Posted By: AmishFury
i would have said upper range of about $150 but it would be a moot point now since i just bought some boots

i work for walmart... i can't drop $200+ on boots and if i did i'd want boots that will give me at least a solid 4-5 years before any major repairs or replacement are necessary

My uncle is on year 11 with his Red Wings. He had them resoled once, they're about ready for another. (His last pair-when he was still a full-time truck mechanic-went 16 years and 3 resoles.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back