Looking for good A/S tires for the 13 Sonata P205/65R16

I was pleased with the General Altimax RT43’s on my RWD 300. Can’t comment on how they wear, traded it in 7 months after I put them on.

I’m even more pleased with the 3PMSF rated BFGoodrich Advantage TA Sport LT’s I put on my wife’s minivan, it went from not being able to get out of our driveway unless my made absolutely sure there was no snow or ice to being able to get up onto the road (driveway slopes towards the house) if I neglect to put salt down.

Thank you all for the suggestions!. I will look into everyone of them! very much appreciated. and great feedback!

Also tire rotations are not done on the sonata, because they never wear differently surprisingly. All 4 wear at exactly the same amount to the MM so when the fronts are done, so are the rears. But the current Cooper tires never got loud, shimmy or anything odd, they just worn out in 30K miles. They were not a bad tire, but i believe there are better options, that are suggested. Thanks!.

I have Altimax RT43s on my '07 Accord. They are wearing very well at 40k miles, but have gotten annoyingly loud over time. I'm going to try the hopefully quieter-as-they-wear Pirelli P7's next time, which unfortunately won't be for quite a while because the RT43's are wearing so well.

There are some seriously QUIET tires out there.
Yes, the P7 are quiet. Quietest? IDK, but very quiet just the same.
Some really quiet tires according to their testing & reviews are:

Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrac
Continental TrueContact TOUR
Good/Year Assurance ComfortDrive(ComforTread) TOUR

Michelin - X Tour A/S T + H​

$473 in your size including installation at Costco with free rotation and balance for life and 5 year road hazard warranty included. Treadware warranty is 80,000 miles. That is less than $100 per tire. Do you have a Costco warehouse nearby?

The Altimax RT43 is a crock and this place is an echo chamber. It’s a mid range tire at premium tire prices.

I think that those who have owned the RT43 can speak for their experience. We're on our 3rd set even though there are other tires we like as much or more$$$

I find that the RT43(Standard Touring Tire) undercuts the pice of many other tires in our vehicles size(s) at their regular prices(without discounts/rebates). And is certainly a much better tire than many private label tires. IMO, it's somewhere in the middle of the PL & GT tires in terms of price with very good performance to boot. The RT43 is closer in price with private label(Economy) tires with performance(especially in the foul weather) closer to the Grand Touring Tires.

Key word, "closer" in both directions but, I'm not saying it's perfect. The RT43 is certainly not the cheapest tire in its particular category but is certainly a good bang for the buck. Price vs performance/scoring & customer reviews.

RT43. If you have any illness, those tires will solve it. If you didn’t get COVID-19 vaccine, buying RT43 will protect you.
On serious note, go CrossClimate2 or similar tire if you need regular A/S tire with decent snow traction.
Not sure why everyone here loves those RT43's so much. They are a very average tire that is now being sold at premium tire prices.

RT43s must be selling at higher prices in certain areas. TR, DTD and my local dealers sell them much cheaper than other tire that are considered premium

Not sure why everyone here loves those RT43's so much. They are a very average tire that is now being sold at premium tire prices.
I'm not sure what people are comparing to the RT43's in terms of price & performance...
Douglas, Mastercraft, Nangkang, Cooper, Dunlop, StarFire, Westlake, Milestar, what ??? other private label tires???

I compare the RT43's to tires that are available in my vehicles size(s). Such as the larger name brands such as...
Good/Year, Continental, Bridgestone/Firestone, Pirelli, Yokohama etc...I leave Michelin out of this due to being out of my price range.

And I compare to some lesser but popular big name brands such as BFG, Hankook, Kumho, Nexen, Dunlop, Cooper etc.

And the RT43 score very high from at least two(even in other world markets) of the well respected tires testing facilities when compared to tires of the same category, or similar priced tires and even when being cross shopped(compared) with more expensive brands. Not scoring the highest, but HIGH just the same.

I'm not sticking up for the RT43 as they're not always my first choice for tires but you can't argue with their value vs performance & customer reviews. In my experience , too many private label tires just don't hold up for me by 15K-20K miles in terms of their quality.

Last edited:
^^^EDIT:
In my opinion & experience, most private label brands have been absolute rubbish and not worth their low(er) price tag though I realize that many folks have had good success with them.

I just watched a video on the Michelin CrossClimate 2 with TireRack. They seem to be a very promising tire with actual all season traction. If you can handle the price I’d say take a look at them. Reviews seem to be really good across the board. The Michelin rep mentioned that they wanted the 60k mileage warranty to be actually attainable, which stood out to me.

Back