Looking for GM intake gasket info-model specifics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my Mom a 1995 Buick Century wagon 71,000 miles on odometer with the V-6. I believe it is a 3.1L. Does anyone have what years/models were affected by the GM gasket issue. All the info on the web doesn't mention the 1995 Buick and I can't find any complaints about this specific model.I'm sure some one on here can though
wink.gif
Thanks for any info.

All 3100's from '94 to '98 or 99 had the problem(3400 too).

keep an eye on the coolant level and under the oil cap
for milky looking #@$%!.

Thanks. Is there any data on failure rates i.e, 10%, 20% etc? I was going to add a bottle of that cooling system stop leak to the coolant as a preventive measure.

I haven't seen hard statistics on failures, but I would count on having it done, like a brake job when it needs it.

You might try to find and read the mold date on the intake manifold and see if it agrees with the year of the car. That will sometimes tell you if you've got a new(er) UIM which can also mean a new set of gaskets.

That won't mean you're set for life (I'm on my 3rd UIM on a 98 Bonneville 3.8 last changed at 112K) but it may indicate something about the history of that component.

Go buy a spare set and leave 'em in the trunk. You'll need 'em...guaranteed.

Either change them now, or throw in a few sealer pellets (GM branded) as "insurance."

Quote:

Thanks. Is there any data on failure rates i.e, 10%, 20% etc?

Not that i know of,,but at 71,000 it could happen any time
or not till 100,000.

I've seem them go early and late, just keep an eye on it.

and when they do go Fel-pro has an updated gasket set you
can buy that has a steel core and won't blow out again.

I've installed 3 of these sets now(one on my own car) and not ONE has re-leaked.

it was a poor gasket design.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to add some Bars Stop leak to the radiator. Perhaps two bottles. I am hoping today's modern stop leak products will address this issue on this car should the problem ever surface.

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I am going to add some Bars Stop leak to the radiator. Perhaps two bottles.

Be carefull you don't want to plug or restrict the heater core eather..
smile.gif

If its your moms car see if they added the pellets and how long ago it was done. I would not add more than the usual GM dose and would change the dexcool at 30-50K. Ditto the trannie fluid, fule filter and trannie filter unless you caan track back to your mom's last change of these.

Quote:

for milky looking #@$%!.

It goes beyond 1999 models.

My 2003 Malibu with a 3.1L V6 had the leaking gasket.

Identified it myself with the white gunk on the underside of the oil filler cap.

Quote:

Quote:

for milky looking #@$%!.

It goes beyond 1999 models.

My 2003 Malibu with a 3.1L V6 had the leaking gasket.

Identified it myself with the white gunk on the underside of the oil filler cap.

'03 with the 31 not the 34??? Hmmmmm....

wasn't totaly shure on how long they had the 31 going after the 34 came in..

Quote:

Thanks. Is there any data on failure rates i.e, 10%, 20% etc?

Its probably 100%. I suppose a number (probably less than 25%) may limp along for 100K miles without failing totally. But they all will leak. I would do an analysis and get it fixed if you want to keep the car.

Quote:

The problem started probably in 1990 when the first 3.1's went in. 1992 for sure was a problem. I believe the problem was fixed in 2003.

I have 5 Montanas 01-03 with 3400's and 4 have had their intake gaskets replaced, so that's 80%. The fifth just doesn't have enough miles on it yet!
wink.gif
Some went as soon as 60k, others made it to 180k.

Wife's 3.1 corsica 1993 went 207k miles with it done either before she got it with 100k (doubtful) or never. Agree with the "it's later" crowd.

Quote:

I bought my Mom a 1995 Buick Century wagon 71,000 miles on odometer with the V-6. I believe it is a 3.1L. Does anyone have what years/models were affected by the GM gasket issue. All the info on the web doesn't mention the 1995 Buick and I can't find any complaints about this specific model.I'm sure some one on here can though
wink.gif
Thanks for any info.

I think you answered your own question in your search " can't find any complaints "

Nice catch on the link to ctv .
smile.gif

Notice how it reinforces point #1 .

Notice and read the link on the link labelled " Sample of General Motors Service Bulletins "

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticulesNews/...me=&no_ads=

Notice the only Buick Centurys (item #2 in the above link ) with your engine of concern are years 2000-2003.

Notice the earliest mention of the 3.1 OR the 3.4 is 1996 and only in regards to the RWD Olds , Pontiac , and Chevrolet Minivans . If I remember correctly , they had the 3.4 and not the 3.1 . Either way , no chance yours is one of them .

Notice much of discussion on this thread in terms of effected engines is grossly inaccurate . Since these are rewrites of GM TSBs by a group seeking large legal redress with an opportunity to go on a major TV provider I would imagine their list is more accurate . It really does matter which engine in what make , in what year , and in what model . The total is typically over stated .

Notice the three other bulletins concerning the 3.8 throw into question most of the discussion on this forum and elsewhere concerning this engine . Just as an example , notice in sample bulletin #1 the issuie is the upper intake manifold not the gasket . Notice how the discussion of the 3.8 is very different than the 3.1 and the 3.4 .

Consider the old saying always worth remembering ; if it ain't broke don't fix it . Think about , you have an 11 year old car with 71,000 rounds on it and since you havn't mentioned any symptoms related to this area something was working right to get you this far . You want to go throw some stop leak in there just keep in mind you are as likely to create a problem as you are to prevent a nonproblem (no misprint ) . Just my
twocents.gif
on that last . Others may feel differently .
cheers.gif

Quote:

Notice the earliest mention of the 3.1 OR the 3.4 is 1996 and only in regards to the RWD Olds, Pontiac, and Chevrolet Minivans. If I remember correctly, they had the 3.4 and not the 3.1. Either way, no chance yours is one of them.

Consider the old saying always worth remembering; if it ain't broke don't fix it. Think about, you have an 11 year old car with 71,000 rounds on it and since you havn't mentioned any symptoms related to this area something was working right to get you this far. You want to go throw some stop leak in there just keep in mind you are as likely to create a problem as you are to prevent a nonproblem (no misprint ). Just my
twocents.gif
on that last. Others may feel differently
cheers.gif

Are you saying that the 3.1 didn't have any problems until 1996? If so, that's wrong. I have replaced the gaskets on my 1994 Grand Am twice.

As to your 2nd notion, I would disagree as well. It's called trying to prevent the unevitable, if it is a pretty sure thing that it will happen to your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back