Looking For Economical Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg

If my dislike for the car causes you anguish....I would suggest ignoring what I say.

Don't flatter yourself, nothing you say causes me anguish. It does get a little old reading the same thing in multiple threads though.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

If my dislike for the car causes you anguish....I would suggest ignoring what I say.

Don't flatter yourself, nothing you say causes me anguish. It does get a little old reading the same thing in multiple threads though.

Like I said....ignore my posts then. If you can't come to terms with my opinions....stop reading them. No need for you to be insulting toward somebody over a car....is there? The girlfriend snipe was out of line....and way out of proportion in regard to my opinion about my experiences with my Focus.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Like I said....ignore my posts then. If you can't come to terms with my opinions....stop reading them. No need for you to be insulting toward somebody over a car....is there? The girlfriend snipe was out of line....and way out of proportion in regard to my opinion about my experiences with my Focus.

I didn't say anything insulting or out of line. I asked a question and you went off the deep end.

I responded to your post in a polite manner, and in return you make a quip the car "So it's really the girlfriends car that you hate?". It's a pity that you take a jab at me and then do the typical "I didn't say anything" line when you know full well what you did. Better to own up and admit when you insult a person....instead of using the anonymity and distance of the internet as a way of being rude without consequences.

Anyway...let's just forget the whole thing. You say you didn't insult me...I say you did. We disagree. Big deal. We don't need a thread locked because of this childish bantering.

Originally Posted By: 13Tacoma
The diesels are interesting to me. How would a Jetta TDI with a manual transmission be?

Although do the diesels suffer from the same carbon build up issues?

From what I understand, the Jetta TDI is very good and doesn't suffer from buildup. After spending some time on VW forums and considering this vehicle as my next, it seems that some people are getting 400k+ out of their Jetta diesels, with only fluid/filter changes, brakes, tires and a couple of odd repairs here and there.

Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
From what I know about direct injection, there's still quite an issue with carbon buildup in every engine made so far by every manufacturer, even porsche...

Even Porsche? You gotta be kidding. Porsche never made in its history engines that blew up just after the warranty expired and became an expensive paperweight. ever.

OP, in my humble opinion, get a base Honda Accord (LX version), or the best one within the budget, like EX or Sport. If I remember correctly, a base Prius will cost about as much as a Honda Accord EX, and a whole lot more money than Honda Accord LX. The base Prius is equipped about as well as Honda Accord LX, but Accord is faster and more refined in almost every way. I did some back of the napkin calculations, it it seems like you need to drive something like 60-100 thousand miles in a Prius before it "break even" in relation to the less expensive, but more refined in a few ways, Accord LX.

At the same time, Prius is certainly a solid car. Pretty nice zippy, economical and practical car for commuting, and still quite a good value, specially the base models. But they lack the refinement of a lot of cars that cost more than 20 grand. Poor sound isolation. It feels like a tin can, and the driver seat is not electric in most trims, which is ridiculous in the Prius price range IMHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2
Originally Posted By: Digital2k2
From what I know about direct injection, there's still quite an issue with carbon buildup in every engine made so far by every manufacturer, even porsche...

Even Porsche? You gotta be kidding. Porsche never made in its history engines that blew up just after the warranty expired and became an expensive paperweight. ever.

Nope, they blow up in warranty, along with out of warranty, and the first thing they do when you bring your car in for a service is plug their diagnostic tool into your car to see how many over-rev events you have had in the cars past.

I believe Mazda has a better track record with Direct Injection deposits than any other brand that offers DI on the majority of it's vehicle lineup.

BC.

A quick note about cost per mile that I neglected to add on my previous post.

Cost per mile does not really vary all that much between cars (or trucks) within a certain class.

Exactly!
An Accord is a roomy and comfortable car, far more so than any Prius. It's also safer in any accident if that matters.
We've shopped the Prius twice.
The first time, we bought a Forester and the second we bought an Accord.
The little Prius would have cost more than either car we bought when we bought them and it lacks the comfort of either the Subaru or the Honda as well as their room and safety advantages.
No regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back