Looking for a "very" sticky grease

I have a 2002 nissan frontier pu. It uses steering stops (look like bolts) that have plastic caps on them. The caps continuously crack and fall off (I've even tried gluing them on). Some don't even last a year. They are getting harder to find and naturally getting more expensive. I have begun to lube the end of the bolt/stop and the area on the control arm that the bolt/stop contacts. It works, but because it's exposed to the elements doesn't last long (maybe a month of two at most). I'm currently using high temp lithium bearing grease but have tried things like anti-seize, and waterproof bike greases with more or less the same results. Are there any greases out there that are "really really" sticky (tenacious?) and might last a little longer (maybe 3 or 4 months instead of 1 or 2) being exposed. It's a relatively easy job to do. But I do have to get under the front end of the truck and my poor 73+ year old body complains every time.

I would avoid any petroleum type grease on plastic. Some plastics may be ok but the general rule is since plastic is a petroleum product, petroleum oils and grease will attack them. Normally silicon grease is used on plastic and nylon gears and slides. In your situation you not only have to protect the cap from the elements but you have impacts to worry about too. There used to be a product called Dipit that we coated wrench and hammer handles in. It was like a soft plastic liquid you dipped the handle in and would dry to a very sturdy plastic coating. You could also try coating the outside in a soft epoxy. Epoxy is not UV stable but since this will be under the car UV should not be a problem. The final solution I would try, depending on the size of the bolt head would be to get a couple Rubber corks and drill a hole 3/4 of the way through in the center to match the bolt head and use them as caps. They would last longer than plastic and be a softer stop.

does everyone have this issue or is there some other issue on your truck that needs fixed?

I have used a product called “Nyogel” damping grease. It’s a Very, Very sticky synthetic grease and I used it on my motorcycles throttle cable to create a damping effect in an overly sensitive throttle. It worked great for me though I don’t know if it might work for you. I got mine off eBay from Berger sciences in Dexter Mi. Do an eBay search for it, that’s how I found mine.

I use Red & Tacky for weird applications like that. I use it on PTO's and other weird apps like my old ass power door on my garage. I've a tube thats 10 years old and it still hasn't separated yet..

I would avoid any petroleum type grease on plastic. Some plastics may be ok but the general rule is since plastic is a petroleum product, petroleum oils and grease will attack them. Normally silicon grease is used on plastic and nylon gears and slides. In your situation you not only have to protect the cap from the elements but you have impacts to worry about too. There used to be a product called Dipit that we coated wrench and hammer handles in. It was like a soft plastic liquid you dipped the handle in and would dry to a very sturdy plastic coating. You could also try coating the outside in a soft epoxy. Epoxy is not UV stable but since this will be under the car UV should not be a problem. The final solution I would try, depending on the size of the bolt head would be to get a couple Rubber corks and drill a hole 3/4 of the way through in the center to match the bolt head and use them as caps. They would last longer than plastic and be a softer stop.
For clarification...I am not lubing the plastic stop caps. When they're new they work fine, no lube needed, they just don't last and simply break/crack and fall off. I have resorted to just lubing the bolt head the cap fits over (once the cap is gone). This tends to work but not for very long with the greases I have used. I do like your rubber cork idea and it's worth a try.

What are the consequences of not putting a cap on it ?
That's the issue, there is no cap, it self destructed and fell off. There's no mechanical downside to leaving the cap off. Just results in a lot of metal to metal noise. I have been just greasing the stop head (it looks more or less like a stove bolt) with grease and the spot where the stop contacts the control arm. Seems to work until it wears off.

Greases to resist ingress of water in all its forms. A large choice among the different chemistries with a lubricant giving optimal return.

The panther community (crown vic, Grand Marquis and Towncar) have exposed metal bump stops and the concensus is to use anti seize. As for plastic safe, the longest service life I have found when lubricating fairly exposed polyurethane swaybar bushings has been jet-lube nlgi #3 silicone compound, though I have not been able to find it recently. It lasts many times longer than Super-lube.

green grease, I've got a gob hanging on the swing arm pivot on my wheeler that's been there over a year. That things been through mud, rain, snow, tall grass, over logs and everything in between and that gob of grease just won't wash off. I clean the machine with simple green and a pressure washer and that won't take it off without a concentrated effort.

Back