Looking for a Sil-Glyde replacement for brakes...

YouTuber - South Main Auto, shop is in NY state, so rust is "normal" - likes using FLUID FILM for that usage. I've only used it for the first time very recently so it will be at least a year before I see how it works.
I love South Main Auto, but I’m not sure about using fluid film for the hub. I like fluid film but not for something like that, instead I’d use an anti seeze or something that won’t wash away and can handle heat.

And it’s funny but South Main doesn’t use any sort of grease on the ears of brake pads, he puts it under the clips, instead of where the clips contact the pads. And he’s not the only one, I’m seeing more and more shops doing this now. The theory is that under the clips, rust forms, and that rust puts pressure upwards and causes the pads stick (not allowing them to move/return). Makes sense I guess. And he doesn’t lubricate where the pads contact the clips because they collect dirt and as long as those pads can move, rust shouldn’t form much, and be scraped off. I tried it four months ago, so far so good.

3 years ago I used Molykote 33 light on the pins. It's a silcone oil with lithium soap thickener. Temperture range is -73 to 180C and it's safe for most rubber. Last year the pads were pretty even and the seals were okay. I have to check them again this year before inspection. I also used a thin coat of antiseize on the pad ends and anything else that slides. On the rear hand brake springs I sprayed amsoil heavy duty metal protect.

The pdf for Molykote 33 light says its safe for most plastics. I have to check those brakes! Maybe it's the Molykote 111 that I use on water filter o-rings that safe for most rubber.

And it’s funny but South Main doesn’t use any sort of grease on the ears of brake pads, he puts it under the clips, instead of where the clips contact...
I agree with your theory about the rust build-up under the clips. It's an unpainted, machined surface so it will rust (where I live). Personally, I put a small amount on the pad ears. Since the clips are typically stainless, those shouldn't rust. The pad ears are painted so they shouldn't either so realistically, they should slide in the clips indefinitely but it still seems like the paint gets slowly scraped off, which then rusts, which then can stick.

The pad ears are painted so they shouldn't either so realistically, they should slide in the clips indefinitely but it still seems like the paint gets slowly scraped off, which then rusts, which then can stick.
Grease does not get scraped/worn away over time? 🤔

I agree with your theory about the rust build-up under the clips. It's an unpainted, machined surface so it will rust (where I live). Personally, I put a small amount on the pad ears. Since the clips are typically stainless, those shouldn't rust. The pad ears are painted so they shouldn't either so realistically, they should slide in the clips indefinitely but it still seems like the paint gets slowly scraped off, which then rusts, which then can stick.
I agree. Like I said, this is the first time I’ve tried not putting anything on the pad’s ears or that side of the clips, but I’ll keep an eye on it and monitor how that goes throughout the winter months when the salt starts really flying. And it did feel weird not to put anything on them.

I think the theory with this latest technique is by not having any grease whatsoever on the ears/clips, is that brake dust and dirt won’t accumulate. I’m not sure that’s really a big problem anyway. If you use fluid film to treat the frame of your vehicle, the first thing you do after is drive down a dusty dirt round and hope it all sticks to the fluid film and form a protective barrier. Which makes it stay longer.

Back