Looking for a "real" synthetic 5W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a "real" synthetic motor oil in a 5W-50 weight that is available in the USA, preferably locally here in NC off the shelf. This is actually for a non-automotive application. I am asking in this forum because the collective knowledge here is awesome.

Here is the the reason I am looking:

"Tuff Torque Model K66

A compact, integrated hydrostatic transaxle for light duty garden tractors and front deck mowers, among other uses.

Included oil is 10w30 engine oil that is commonly available, 5w50 synthetic oil is available for ground engaging applications. "

[ January 30, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: mracer ]

I think you're SOL on this one. To my knowledge, there are no 5w50 PAO based "over the counter" synthetics on the North American market.

We have M1 5W50 coming out of our ears here. Also still some Pennzoil Performax 100 5W50 left which I understand is very good stuff. Can't think of any others right now.

mobil 1 5w-50? i have never seen or heard of it... only 15-w50

castrol syntec makes a group III "synthetic" 5w-50 that is supposed to be ok...

sprintman,
they've got a few bottles of the Pannzoil stuff left at the local parts shop. Used it a few oil changes ago.

A mate has a Commodore V-6, and tried to buy some 0W-40 at the depot (I saw a case there when I got the Delvac 1 and sent him in). The dealer tried to talk him out of it, as the 10W-30 or the 5W-50 are the only oils that he would put in a V-6.

Yeah I always wondered why Mobil 1 didn't make a 5-50 for the N.A. market as we have the MOST diverse temp. ranges of any continent! The 15-50 is OK, but stupid for Canada unless one lives in more temperate regions like southern, southern Ontario or B.C. or uses the oil exclusively in the summer...anywhere else and you will need a block heater. Hey, on that note...can one stretch the Cold Temp properties of an oil by using a block heater? eg. use a 15 weight down to say -30F?

Otherwise, I'd have to check again but I thought Kendall has a 5-50 or Synergen? Are these PAO's? Certainly, not OTC though...but, may be available locally...

I think you're SOL on this one. To my knowledge, there are no 5w50 PAO based "over the counter" synthetics on the North American market.

I beg to differ. I hope Canada is still part of North America
canada.gif

We have Imperial oil PAO 5W-50 and it is suspected that Canadian Tire 5W-50 synthetic is the same Imperial Oil stuff.

patriot.gif
cheers.gif
canada.gif

quote:

Originally posted by SPITMAN:
I beg to differ. I hope Canada is still part of North America
canada.gif

We have Imperial oil PAO 5W-50 and it is suspected that Canadian Tire 5W-50 synthetic is the same Imperial Oil stuff.

Sorry. I meant no offense. I wasn't aware of this oil.

Dr.T, I would think that the use of a block heater would definitely allow you to run a slightly thicker oil (15w compared to 10w for instance) and have no troubles. The key is, will you always use the block heater? What if you're stuck somewhere that doesn't allow you to use it?

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Yep, Canada is in North America. But North Carolina is not in Canada.
grin.gif

Thanks, Johnny.
grin.gif
The man did say he wanted an oil that was available in the USA
patriot.gif
and preferably in North Carolina, so I should have phrased my sentence a little differently so as not to offend our brothers "up North."
canada.gif

There is no PAO based 5w50 available OTC in the US to my knowledge.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back