Looking for a "quiet" oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Brendan
excuse my ignorance, but what is PP? Does BITOG have a acronym decoder sticky thread somewhere?

You'll run into a lot of them here. You pick them up fast enough though - the BITOG lingo
wink.gif

-Spyder

I've used all of the oil's on your list plus some. The quietest oil I've ever used is Castrol Edge. But like other's have said, every engine and owner are different, what works for one, may not do the same for another. But I highly recommend giving Edge a shot, this is one area I really noticed it stood out for me specifically.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
I've used all of the oil's on your list plus some. The quietest oil I've ever used is Castrol Edge. But like other's have said, every engine and owner are different, what works for one, may not do the same for another. But I highly recommend giving Edge a shot, this is one area I really noticed it stood out for me specifically.

Same here.

I was just in Autozone and saw they replaced their Syntec 5W50 with the Classic Car 20W50. Wonder how it compares to other syn 20W50s? And is it a grp III or PAO/ester?

Quaker State conventional is the quietest oil I have ever used. My truck runs much quieter and smoother on QS Advanced Durability 10W30 than any other oil I have used.

Castrol Syntec is very very quiet on my 2006 camry v6. Also the car performance is much improve. I will be using castrol syntec on my honda pilot too.

Castrol Syntec produced a lot of mechanical noise in my Merc 4.6 sadly. The most quiet oils in it have been PYB, PP, and I am now trying a run of Kendall Liquid Titanium, this oil is also very very quiet
thumbsup2.gif

So to summarize: the only way to find out what's quietest in your car is to experiment - as there is no consensus on this one (though Edge seems to be about as close as it gets in this thread).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spyder7
So to summarize: the only way to find out what's quietest in your car is to experiment - as there is no consensus on this one.

-Spyder

Pretty much, although I would start my experiment with the oil that came up the most, once this thread falls off the first page.

Normally I'm skeptical of serious noise differences between oils but PP in my GTO has been so loud I've been thinking about dumping it out early because I find the noise embarassing.

I'm curious to see the results of this experiment.

My experience has been the exact opposite. Out of the oils in it so far (Motomaster Formula 1 dino when I bought it, GTX for the first OC, Toyota dino for the 2nd, and now PP), PP is the quietest to date. Not necessarily the quietest out there - I haven't tried them all yet.
wink.gif
PP is definitely quiet enough in my car that I wouldn't dump it for noise (it actually hasn't given me any reason to dump it so far, but this is still only day 2 on it).

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back