Looking for a low voltage transformer and timer

I just wanted to see if someone already solved this problem. I have an area of my long driveway I would like to light up at 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM every morning. Solar lights are pretty much useless at that time of the morning north of the 49th parallel in winter.

Being outdoors I wanted to run a low voltage line. The transformers I’ve seen have a dusk timer and setting for the number of hours after dark, which is not what I want. I just want it to come on in the morning ( which is still pitch black at 8:00 AM all winter) then turn off.

I thought perhaps a low voltage transformer with no timer, on a normal V 120 V timer. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.

Many of the low voltage transformers have room inside for a timer of your choice. Mine is from Volt lighting and seems very high quality. If you look at the interior photo, you can see it sort of plugs into itself, that's where the timer goes.
I can recommend their lights, too. Just did a large project.

I have low voltage landscape lights such as, https://www.voltlighting.com/shop/landscape-lighting which are controlled by a timer that replaces the wall switch like this,

61-y4d3HpYS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I have it set to come on at sunset, about 6pm now and turn off at 11 pm. It has a function that adjusts sunset daily automatically based on your location.

In my last home I converted some natural gas posts lights that ran the length of my driveway to low voltage incandescents. This was nearly 20yrs ago though. The transformers I used at the time looked like a large wall-wart. They plugged directly into a 3-prong outlet, then had screw terminals for the ~12V output. I ran photo cells at the lights.

Are you just wanting little landscape style lights? How many and what sort of distance are you wanting?

Our house came with some landscape lights on a little transformer. I ended up throwing the things away. 🤫

Are you just wanting little landscape style lights? How many and what sort of distance are you wanting?

Our house came with some landscape lights on a little transformer. I ended up throwing the things away. 🤫
Actually, this would be for safety. We back down the driveway with a 7 % slope. The driveway also has a curve on it. When the snow is deep it’s possible to slide off the edge at the curve. Ask me how I know. With deep snow in total darkness it gets sketchy. My wife backs down the driveway every weekday morning, in total darkness a lot of the time. Happy wife, happy life!

Last edited:
Actually, this would be for safety. We back down the driveway with a 7 % slope. The driveway also has a curve on it. When the snow is deep it’s possible to slide off the edge at the curve. With deep snow in total darkness it gets sketchy. My wife backs down the driveway every weekday morning in total darkness a lot of the time. Happy wife, happy life!
I had a similar situation on the far side of my parking area where guests park. Installed 4x 12v 2w LED down lights about 12 feet up in trees. It was a lot of work (and wire) but the results are amazing. Zero glare and cheap to operate.

Attachments

• PXL_20221024_005103798.jpg
    PXL_20221024_005103798.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 6
Actually, this would be for safety. We back down the driveway with a 7 % slope. The driveway also has a curve on it. When the snow is deep it’s possible to slide off the edge at the curve. Ask me how I know. With deep snow in total darkness it gets sketchy. My wife backs down the driveway every weekday morning in total darkness a lot of the time. Happy wife, happy life!
Why doesn't she just BACK into the parking spot when it's daylight or good weather or not tired and in a hurry in the morning? Then she can easily drive away going forwards the next morning.

Actually, this would be for safety. We back down the driveway with a 7 % slope. The driveway also has a curve on it. When the snow is deep it’s possible to slide off the edge at the curve. Ask me how I know. With deep snow in total darkness it gets sketchy.

If there's an electric company pole in that area, some electric companies will install a light on it for a monthly fee.

Why doesn't she just BACK into the parking spot when it's daylight or good weather or not tired and in a hurry in the morning? Then she can easily drive away going forwards the next morning.
Thanks. The vehicle gets parked in a heated attached garage at the top of the hill. It’s 20 F this morning. Trade offs.

Even more reason to back it in.
I see what you mean now. I thought you meant leaving it at the bottom of the hill. I think the issue is backing it through the garage door. There is just a few inches of clearance with the mirrors. It’s a Chevy Suburban. When it’s in the garage, it’s an easier task going straight back to clear the mirrors. Lots of inputs here.

Back