Low voltage outdoor light transformer issue

I have an old model Intermatic / Malibu 10 Tier Light set# LX10610T25. Bought off Ebay and came factory sealed. Wired all 10 lights then connected to the transformer, part number ML44T. No lights no matter what I do. I can hear the unit humming which is problably the timer itself. When plugged in I also checked the connections with a volt OHM meter and have no reading no matter what I did with the manual on/off or dial settings. Any ideas?

Is the hum possibly from the transformer? No output voltage from the transformer, even with nothing connected externally?

Ours has a circuit breaker under near the terminals IIRC. I had that happen once, turned out to be a corroded connector that got hot enough to melt the wire and short, tripping the CB.

This is a as new unit and there is no voltage coming out when plugged in and checked with volt/ohm meter. I am at a loss.

If you have power and neutral/ground coming into the transformer but no output seems obvious to me what the issue is 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Yeah. Replace the defective transformer. As long as your checking for power output right at the transformer

Last edited:
I am blessed. My nieces husband is an electrician. I insist on paying him market rates (no freebies) but he is excellent and responds instantly. Last job I had was a low voltage issue that was repaired in a day. If I was still marrying off my daughters I would ask prospective suitors ‘ Are you an electrician or a plumber or do you have plans to be one?’ If not, take a hike!

We are good as far as the transformer goes. I was testing for 12V DC when I should have been testing for 12 AC. I am the dummy. Now its time to find my short. Thanks for all the feedback and help!

^^ That explains why you didn't measure voltage from the transformer, but not why "no lights." There must be an open connection somewhere. ??

Found a short in the wire cable provided that basically grounded everything out. All good!

Back