looking for a hdd camcorder...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with Critic-- go new. Image post-processing gets better every year. Plus you'll get a full capacity battery.

The fancy things come with "green dot" dummy modes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Nope, but this is a great deal:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=2629613

WOW...that is a very impressive feature set for a camcorder at that price.

Aside from the lack of external microphone inputs, that has everything anyone should need. Nice fast lens, decent low light performance...NICE KIT! Thanks for posting this deal, I may just get one at that price.

Getting a HD camcorder is taking a step backward in Video Quality. HD camcorders Interpolate the video, which means of every 25 frames of video, 4 or 5 frames are taken by the lens assembly, the other frames in between these are filled in by the camcorder inner circuitry, thus giving you not true video. This happens in every video they take. I will not mention any thing, other than to say, getting a HD camcorder, make sure you have the computer that handle HD video, one clue, You need a multi core processor and both an audio and sound card also. Any thing less and you will have problems with the footage a HD camcorder makes. And Windows Maker does not work with HD video. Try amazon or ebay to have your HD camcorder.

I don't know if there is a particular price level at which modern HD camcorders become the real deal, but for the lower cost models I agree with ankaka:

- Many record 1080i which they have interpolated from lower resolution sensor data. The result is poor image quality of the frames.

But they get to advertise the big FULL HD 1080 marketing material! I would rather have an affordable camcorder that records genuine 720p video, but the '1080' marketing spin took over a while ago.

- You need a relatively modern PC to play back 1080 line AVCHD video, let alone manipulate it. And in the Windows world, I think Windows 7 was the first to ship with a built in AVCHD decoder.

I've found that older PC hardware (like my own single core laptop with Intel GMA 950 graphics) will play 720p video without a hitch, but that is the limit. Step up to any of the Intel HD graphics (Sandy Bridge HD 3000 or HD 2000, even Arrandale HD) and 1080p/i video will play with no trouble. I expect any modern AMD or NVidia graphics will handle it perfectly too.

+1 for Bear and ankaka's advice.

My older Cannon that uses MiniDV tapes puts out better quality than what I've seen out of some of the (affordable) "HD" offerings on the market. The sound levels are the only downside, but I can fix that in post-production.

Originally Posted By: ankaka
Getting a HD camcorder is taking a step backward in Video Quality. HD camcorders Interpolate the video, which means of every 25 frames of video, 4 or 5 frames are taken by the lens assembly, the other frames in between these are filled in by the camcorder inner circuitry, thus giving you not true video. This happens in every video they take. I will not mention any thing, other than to say, getting a HD camcorder, make sure you have the computer that handle HD video, one clue, You need a multi core processor and both an audio and sound card also. Any thing less and you will have problems with the footage a HD camcorder makes. And Windows Maker does not work with HD video. Try amazon or ebay to have your HD camcorder.

Really so you are telling me this video has 4 or 5 real images coupled with a ton of fake images? I don't buy that. This was taken with my panasonic HDC-SD9 1080p camcorder I paid $800 for a couple years ago.

http://youtu.be/9_ILoi02cTA?hd=1

^^^^^That camcorder is for sale if the OP is interested. I would let it go along with an 8GB class 6 sd card for $200 shipped. I now use my DSLR for video recording so i have no need for the camcorder.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Originally Posted By: ankaka

Really so you are telling me this video has 4 or 5 real images coupled with a ton of fake images? I don't buy that. This was taken with my panasonic HDC-SD9 1080p camcorder I paid $800 for a couple years ago.

http://youtu.be/9_ILoi02cTA?hd=1

^^^^^That camcorder is for sale if the OP is interested. I would let it go along with an 8GB class 6 sd card for $200 shipped. I now use my DSLR for video recording so i have no need for the camcorder.

First off,OP this forum is hardly the place I'd try to get good solid info on camcorders. A better place for solid info,would be http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=161

Second,that Nova in that video is one nice runnin Nova! Nice to see some High HP rides on this site,as there aren't many around
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back