Looking at the sun.( air filter test)

I installed this fram air filter on 9-14-19. Roughly 8 months later it is this plugged! I do not know the exact milage but around 7k. The sun was directly behind the filter. Unable to pass light.

IMG_20200629_173710.jpg

Seems more like a matter of media type and pleat density. Then again, if I took a filter out with 7K on it, I'd go ahead and put a new one in.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I installed this fram air filter on 9-14-19. Roughly 8 months later it is this plugged! I do not know the exact milage but around 7k. The sun was directly behind the filter. Unable to pass light.

If you look at the 8th full pleat from the right, you see an area, that appears to have 4 pin holes in it. Is that a damaged filter?

the sunlight test is for K&N cotton gauze filters, showing how well it can let dirt through

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by Chris142

If you look at the 8th full pleat from the right, you see an area, that appears to have 4 pin holes in it. Is that a damaged filter?

Looks like something went through it.

Did the car run different before and after changing it. I've seen filters look really bad but negligible performance or gas mileage difference.

Next time put a K&N in there. The never plug and last for years. most likely longer than your engine will :p

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
Did the car run different before and after changing it. I've seen filters look really bad but negligible performance or gas mileage difference.

Next time put a K&N in there. The never plug and last for years. most likely longer than your engine will :p

I have not driven it tonight but last time it made a huge difference

Well you do live on the area where Thunderdome was filmed
lol.gif

Seriously in your area and others like it in the southwest US... Far, far, far more dust in the air there versus the Eastern US.

Sunlight test is useless and non-scientific. K&N allow sunlight through because the oil is transparent enough to allow it to happen.

Originally Posted by wemay
Sunlight test is useless and non-scientific. K&N allow sunlight through because the oil is transparent enough to allow it to happen.

Thank you.

K&N leTS suNLIght ThroUGH so IT doesN'T WOrk

hahahhaha

Might be time to tie some old pantyhose or cheesecloth over your air inlet opening? That actually looks black, like you've been following a chipped "brodozer" diesel pickup around!

Back