Looking at a new mower

Looking at replacing my 9 year old Honda HRR216. It’s been reliable, but nothing about it has really made me say wow. It mulches ok, it starts easy, but I’m not thrilled with it. I’ve thought about stepping up to one of Honda’s better models, but they get really pricey.

I’ve turned my attention to the toro super recycler. I love the smart stow feature and I have heard good things about mulching ability and the personal pace.

The smart stow comes in a version with an electric start. Still on the fence about that. My biggest question is the engine. The smart stow versions only appear to come with the Briggs exi engine. 160cc for the non electric start and 190cc with electric start.

the other option is a non smart stow with the toro txp engine. Again, I could really use the extra space the smart stow would give me.

any thoughts on the mower itself and engine options? May or may not buy this year. If I don’t I’ll throw some new wheels on my Honda and solidify on.

The newer Briggs engines are surprisingly good. They aren't a Honda, but they are much more refined and quieter than the old flat heads. Plenty powerful for mulching. If mulching is your priority, a Super Recycler will be best for that. I feel the Honda mowers are superior for bagging, and the Toro for mulching.

I happen to have one of the exact mowers you are asking about! I have the 190cc Briggs engine Super Recycler. I bought it used off of Facebook marketplace.
I was looking for the best mulching mower to mow my St. Augustine grass which can get very thick during the summer and this mower is excellent! This mower just pulverizes the grass, I literally cannot gather any clumps of grass when using this mower becasue the clipping are so fine. This helps give back nutrients to the grass for a healthier lawn.
My previous mower which was a 140cc Briggs MTD mower would bog in tall grass and it didn't mulch well even with a gator blade. This 190c engine doesn't even flinch in the same grass.
Yes, mine has the electric start, but I found it faster to start by pulling the rope weirdly enough, starts in 2 pulls and the pull resistance is easier than my previous 140cc Briggs. I removed the battery to save a couple pounds off the deck. This engine is also quieter and produces less vibration compared the the 140cc.
The personal pace, which I had never used before is excellent. It's great that the mower only moves at which ever speed you want, slow or fast. One thing you might need to get used to is that the handle has rubber isolation mounts which causes some extra flex when you push down the handle to change direction but you get used to it and it helps to reduce vibration to your hands.
Overall, this mower is excellent, I could not believe the difference in cut quality and machine quality compared to my previous MTD mower. I would recommend checking Facebook Marketplace for deals if you are not in a rush. That's what I did and scored a deal, $360 for the 190cc model. All I had to do was clean the carb (it was surging a bit), change the oil (of course) and I added an inline fuel filter.

IMG_20201024_133405464_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201024_133351533_HDR.jpg

Thanks for the input. I’ve heard great things about the mulching abilities.
I currently own a Super Recycler with the Honda GCV160 and personal pace. It is a great mower, very easy to start, but doesn't have the stowing feature. I highly recommend it, as the cut is excellent, personal pace is great, and it pulverizes leaves into dust.

I repair mowers for a hobby, did it for a government landscape department in the past. I own the HRR216 and have the same opinion as you. Good but nothing is great. Toro have best decks, Honda has best motors. The electric start is a gimmick. It needs to be plugged in after each use and the battery hardly lasts at all. A couple cold starts and it’s dead. The Toro commercial decks will last a lifetime. The big box store are stamped steel Murray style, good but not exceptional compared to Honda steel.

Looking for thrills from a lawn mower seems, uh, pointless. My 20yr.-old GC-160 powered Craftsman push mower still starts on the first tug, even after a 4-5 month winter storage. I've replaced wheels, blades, handle padding/foam, and pull-start mechanisms, but the engine just goes on and on with very little maintenance. I'd never buy a Briggs & Stratton anything after learning how small engines can be when you pony up for a Honda.

I’m not looking for thrills. I’m just not that happy with the Honda. It’s fine. It cuts so so. Nothing about it is great. I enjoy spending time outside and cutting my grass, so I want something I enjoy using. Ok?

the Honda engine on my current mower is again, fine. Great? Not sure. I had a few Briggs in the past and they were just as good, imho

I've had Toro's for 14 years now, started out with a couple Recyclers because I wanted to try the blade stop but found I never used it so I sold it and bought one with out it. Then I decided I wanted the Super Recycler which mulches better due to the deck design which is aluminum and a little lighter. I would skip the electric start, the Toro TXP 159cc engines are good engines, they have cast iron sleeves and use ball bearings on the camshaft instead of sleeves. It also has a 5 year warranty.

Then there's the Personal pace, once you get use to it there is now going back to pulling or pushing a lever. '

One other thing, they come with those cheap plugs, replace it with a NGK right away.

You started the thread by saying “It mulches OK, and starts easy, but I’m not thrilled with it”. We all deserve good tools to do work that’s pleasing/necessary. The fact that you’ve “had a few Briggs in the past” (so have I) would seem to speak directly to their relative merits—with periodic oil changes, air filters, spark plugs, blade replacements, and a jolt of fuel stabilizer before winter, your Honda will be mowing after most of us are on the other side of the dandelions. I’ll keep mine going until battery-electrics reach the price-range sweet spot to make that technology shift reasonable.

If you are a gear head type and want to spend some $$$ the comercial mowers are nice. They don't cut the lawn a whole lot, if at all better. I have said this before but.... I bought a Honda commercial mower in 2011 to cut lawns on some of the rentals I owned when vacant . My wife helped me and fell in love with the mower. I havent cut a lawn since buying a commercial mower is the best $1200 dollars I ever spent, it is much cheaper that a Horse. My wife loves the mower so much she tells me to change the oil twice a year and service the Hydro trans, sharpen the blades , ew airfilter etc .

Admittedly my HRX is a higher line Mower than the Toro I use. The Toro is an ok mower, but i personally don't care for the personal pace. My bride on the other hand likes the personal pace. I prefer the separate blade and propulsion control of the Honda.

My Honda was electric start new, and the battery would last all season. The newer ones (and mine since i converted it) have a charging system and do not even come with a charger like the old ones.

My Honda is pretty old, the newer version is 200cc vs 190cc but mine hasn't required anything except oil changes and the battery which died a few years ago and triggered the upgrade - it could use some tires though.

I'd buy it again. I wouldn't the Toro.

The best self propelled lawn mower is the Snapper Ninja commercial. Hands down better than the Toro or any other big box mowers. How do I know? I replaced a Toro Personal Pace with one. However, the Ninja mulching blades are a proprietary part.

Last edited:
I ended up going with the SR with the Honda engine. I considered the Honda, but it is a bit bulkier and it’s big money. I think I’ll be happy with this choice versus the “standard” Briggs engine.

Well, let us know how it works out. I think there is some rule about having to post pictures of your new mower or something though... if you don't they set your reaction score to negative numbers and you have to run Wolfs Head in everything for the next OCI...

Back