Looking at a 2010-2016 Suburban, advice needed.

I've been a big fan of GM's most of my life, I've owned/own a few.

I haven't researched many of these models as I was more interested in the 3/4 ton 8.1 during the later years, 2004-2006 as I was looking for a family hauler that could legally pull 12K.

I'm likely going to hold off on the 12K requirement as of now, and just look at a full-size family hauler that has more room than my 5-pass SUV and can hold alot of gear, 4WD, and tow about 8K.

What I don't know is what years to avoid or aim for, including AFM, 6-speed, etc.

Was looking hard at the 2012 LTZ 5.3 but my options are open. Some are avail with lower mileage and in good condition.

Pricewise, trying to stay under $20K, $15K is more realistic if possible.

Doubt I will find a 2016 for $20K but never know. Honestly looking for reliable factory options such as motor/trans combo.

A 2005-2010 ish conversion van was also a consideration, leaning towards the burb.

Any input and criticism appreciated.

Generation 11 started with the 2015 model year. That gives you the Gen V engine with a better designed lubrication system and direct injection. Some say the AFM was improved as well. Try wiki to get an idea about the Suburban differences.

My brother in law had to take one to the junk-yard because the body mounting to the frame was totally rusted out. The rest of the vehicle was still ok, but that was so far gone that it was consider unrepairable. I do not know model year that was. But that is an area you might pay special attention to when looking at them.

Just multiply your budget by at least 5 and buy the Grand Wagoneer, it will tow 10,000 i think. However at that price you would have to sell your trailer and house first.

As a more serious reply:

There are some 2500 suburbans out there, mostly from ex govt uses, they used to be a lot cheaper but may still fit into your desired price range. They will be reliable, durable, thirsty, and great at towing. Chicagomotors usually has a few.

That long ago? :eek::poop::mad:
It definitely ended with the GMT800, so absolute latest would have been 06, but since it was an uncommon option it may have ended sooner.

If shopping GMT900s, personally I'd go for a 6.0 2500 if you can find one. With 1500s, I prefer the K2XX over the GMT900, but maybe budget for a transmission.

Whatever you buy, avoid MagneRide. It's a very expensive way to make your luxury SUV ride like a dump truck.

As a more serious reply:

There are some 2500 suburbans out there, mostly from ex govt uses, they used to be a lot cheaper but may still fit into your desired price range. They will be reliable, durable, thirsty, and great at towing. Chicagomotors usually has a few.

The 2500 is a consideration despite being thirsty, mainly because the 5.3/1500/3.42/4WD burb has such a paltry tow rating, I believe 5,000 lbs.

The 6.0 6 speed 2500s are only thirsty for two reasons. #1 there is no garbage cylinder deactivation schemes. #2 they beefed up the frame and stuff, that weight costs gas. Both are exactly what you have to have for heavy towing and lots of passengers. The dream would be a duramax 2500 suburban on the new platform, am i right?

I may be an outlier, but I actually prefer the 4T60 to the 6L80. Sure, it's nice having the 2 extra gears, but first hand experience says the 4-speed is the way to go. Even when it comes to basic maintenance, the 4L wins. Pan drops on the 6L require dropping the Y-pipe, which is no treat.

The driver's side motor mount likes to fail on these, just replace is with an H2 mount or a solid mount from an HD truck and you'll be fine for the rest of the truck's life.

A/C compressors are hit and miss, but aren't that bad to repair.

Besides that, everything else common is pretty standard GM for the period. HVAC actuators, cracking plastic trim, paint wear on high-use buttons like the fan speed and cruise control. Otherwise, they're as reliable as heck.

Of note: no, I didn't mention AFM. Why? Because I feel the issues are over rated. Yes, the AFM-era engines tend to burn oil. Yes, the AFM filter under the oil pressure sensor likes to clog. Yes, there have been issues with the AFM lifters (which I have encountered). However, as a whole, it's really a non-issue. Honestly, if it's something that bothers you, just buy a cheaper 'Burb and pay to have a true AFM delete installed. Install a slightly hotter cam in it, new lifters, new head gaskets, a non-AFM valley plate, fix any broken exhaust manifold studs, and call it a day.

The dream would be a duramax 2500 suburban on the new platform, am i right?

The big down side is.....You just about need a Duramax donor vehicle to make it feasible, Even then It's a couple hundred hours of labor on a GMT800 which are the easiest. I haven't seen any K2XX 2500/3500 Suburban's for sale??

The big down side is.....You just about need a Duramax donor vehicle to make it feasible, Even then It's a couple hundred hours of labor on a GMT800 which are the easiest. I haven't seen any K2XX 2500/3500 Suburban's for sale??
Yeah it would only make sense if GM offered it factory new. There is a big hole in the heavy towing high passenger segment. $120k ultra loaded duramax suburban 2500 would sell.

If that were true.....I'd imagine Ford would still make the Excursion?? Just like the Chevy SS...What a cool car that sells for top dollar in the used market but didn't sell for (S) new. 2500 Suburban's never sold well new....But get good money on the used market.

My mother had to special order both of her 3/4 ton Suburbans cause none were on the lots.....A 1985 C20 Suburban 350/TH400 & a 2003 2500 Quadrasteer Suburban 6.0L/4L80E. She never got the bigger engine options but pretty much got every other option available. The '85 had a special emissions package that allowed use of leaded fuel.....Dual Smog Pumps with no Catalytic Converters & factory true dual stainless exhaust

Back