Looking ahead for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle sits outside and gets touchless car washes about every 1 to 2 weeks during the winter.
I'm looking for lasting protection over shine. I know Collinite seems to be a favorite here, but I was thinking
of using NuFinish topped with Mother's Pure Brazilian Carnauba wax (not the cleaner wax). Or Meg's Ultimate
liguid wax only. Which you guys think will be more durable?
Thanks!

Not sure on the wax but also pay attention to the underside of your vehicle to keep the tin worm away.

Well stated joegreen. Up north and around the Great Lakes it's very, very tough on cars undersides.

Use nu finish and follow with a paint coating instead of wax..the wax on top of nu finish will wear away too quickly.

I would spray the underneath with a car wash wax and not rinse it. Wash and wax everything you can atop and maybe use a turtle wax protectant on the rub seals. Yeah winter in the north is uber hard on cars. If winter has you fearing now go ahead and check the conditions of coolant,washer fluid, power steering fluid and tranny fluids to prepare accordingly. You might consider nitrogen in tires too. Keep your fuel above 3/4 and add a pea based fuel additive like Gumout Regane.

For paint, use a good sealant. I prefer the Duragloss TPP. Easier to apply than NU Finish and I have gotten a good six months of durability on cars that were prepped well.

But to keep your car from becoming iron oxide city, you should look at getting it professionally coated underneath. Crown is one people seem to like. You can also do it yourself with something like fluid film.

Dont forget door jambs and rocker panels and the like.

I recommend at least spraying a spray wax in the nooks you cannot apply wax properly. Also, wash and wax as low as you can get. Alot of rust (I would guess) starts low where rock chips occur more and where more salt gets.

Thanks for the advice for the underside, door jams, etc.
For the top side I just bought a bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant from Amazon.
I've read positive posts about its shine and longevity. What do you guys think about
my choice? Excellent, good, fair?

Last edited:
If you're going to go through the bother of applying two coats then use a good sealant, or use two coats of Collinite 476, or 845.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
I would spray the underneath with a car wash wax and not rinse it. Wash and wax everything you can atop and maybe use a turtle wax protectant on the rub seals. Yeah winter in the north is uber hard on cars. If winter has you fearing now go ahead and check the conditions of coolant,washer fluid, power steering fluid and tranny fluids to prepare accordingly. You might consider nitrogen in tires too. Keep your fuel above 3/4 and add a pea based fuel additive like Gumout Regane.
Great Advice +1

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Use nu finish and follow with a paint coating instead of wax..the wax on top of nu finish will wear away too quickly.

Incorrect. Sealant bonds to clearcoat, not wax. If you use wax you need to put it on top of the sealant layer.

2 coats of collinite 476 or fk1000p after a proper wash, decon, clay, alcohol wipe down. Don't waste your time with any Carnauba wax, it only lasts for 6 weeks max and is mainly for looks and not durability

Originally Posted By: Neptune
Thanks for the advice for the underside, door jams, etc.
For the top side I just bought a bottle of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant from Amazon.
I've read positive posts about its shine and longevity. What do you guys think about
my choice? Excellent, good, fair?

Its my preferred sealant. I have been getting a solid 6 months of protection out of it with my garaged Jetta. I could probably get longer out of it but I never give it much more than 6 months before I reapply. It is easy on and almost effortless to remove! You chose a great sealant!

Thank you!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back