Longer Purolator filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I'm new to the site and was wondering if there is a longer Purotator filters for my autos that will fit,use the same threads and all? I have an 04 Honda crv uses L14610 and a chevy s-10 uses the PL10111. I really don't want to be at Pep Boys for hours un boxing checking these out and the people there thinkin I crazy. Thanks

Your asking us to do what you can do yourself.....

Do the work.... and go on the Purolator website (application section). Its fairly simple to check the filters you mentioned.... and find an equivilent....that is longer.

Is the PL10111 the same as an AC PF52? If so that is a pretty long filter as-is, what makes you think it worth it to go bigger versus doing other things?

Originally Posted By: chubbie
I have an 04 Honda crv uses L14610 ...

There is nothing longer than the 14610. It has quite a bit of media area for its size, so use with no worries.

Yah I allready tried that on the website there is no drop down box for equivilent or bigger. And I dont know about the AC Delco filter. And yes it apears that I'm an OCD OC (obsesive conpusive disorder oil changer) like everyone in this forum I found my people!!!!

I was just wondering cause I saw a thead about the Toyota filters many different ones bigger that will fit.Well I figured that maybe you know....

A bigger filter doesnt mean a better filter.Some larger filters have less filtering capability,as far as micron size,than their smaller counterparts.The larger filter may have more area but may not filter as well as the filter that the manufacturer calls for.

I have seen where some promote the larger filter idea but I have not seen any real benefit.

Yah I allready tried that on the website there is no drop down box for equivilent or bigger. And I dont know about the AC Delco filter. And yes it apears that I'm an OCD OC (obsesive conpusive disorder oil changer) like everyone in this forum I found my people!!!!
They will only specify and stand behind one filter number.
If you want to chance putting on a longer filter (as I sometimes do myself) then the Wix and Purolator websites are the best for finding appropriate data such as thread size, overall size, gasket diameters, burst pressure and flow rating, presence or absence of an anti-drainback valve, presence or absence of a bypass valve (and/or an anti-siphon valve) and their pressure settings, etc.

It takes a while to find a match though. And of course you will need to make sure the new size won't rub anything or come too close to hot exhaust parts or anything like that.

Miss any of these things and you can have a disaster. The filter maker will not warranty or pay for damage resulting from using the "wrong filter" and neither will the automaker.

OK I'll stay with the recomended filter(s). It just sounded like a good idear at the time.

Like I said earlier ... the 14610 is as big as you will find. That trap line has been ran many times on this board.
whistle.gif

My Civic can take both sizes. 14610 and 14459. The 14459 has a little more capacity and claims to filter to 20 microns. MAYBE the 14459 can be used for your CRV?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: shrooms
My Civic can take both sizes. 14610 and 14459. The 14459 has a little more capacity and claims to filter to 20 microns. MAYBE the 14459 can be used for your CRV?
21.gif

Yes it can! Honda, Nissan, Subaru...My Altima uses a 14610 and when they're out of stock, I buy the 14459. This can also be used in a Honda. Purolator use to make a 24458 which was large/long and as good a filter as you could find(best bang for the buck) but Purolator had discontinued it some time ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shrooms
21.gif

Yes, the 14459 can be used too if the filter mounting base on the engine block is large enough. I've used them before instead of the 14610 on an Altima 3.5L V6.

The 14459 has been found to have LESS media area than the 14610 ... there have been a few threads proving this. So I'd say the 14610 would have better holding capacity as a result of more media. Yes, the 14459 claims 99.9% @ 20 microns instead of 40 microns for the 14610. Why, I don't know ... my guess is they have different bypass valve designs and maybe the bypass valve on the 14610 doesn't seal as tight.

I haven't compared on Purolator's website, but I was under the impression the 14612 is the longer version of the 14610?

Originally Posted By: BrandonT
I haven't compared on Purolator's website, but I was under the impression the 14612 is the longer version of the 14610?

Nevermind, had that backwards, PL14610 is longer than the PL14612.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is the PL10111 the same as an AC PF52? If so that is a pretty long filter as-is, what makes you think it
worth it to go bigger versus doing other things?

I believe the PL10111 is the same as the AC PF47.
The longer PL24011 is equivalent to the AC PF52.

*I have always felt that Purolator would be better off shortening/simplifying their numbering system.

On the s10, pick the 4x4 filter - it's longer but otherwise the same as the 2x4 filter. This should be the case for every brand.

My wife has a Matrix, with the low-perf engine: the hi-perf engine uses the same filter, but longer. Same as the s10 4x4 vs 2x4 filter.

So, I'd recommend checking to see if there's a high performance model of your engine, then (if there is) check to see if they use the same filter.

Good luck - I get what you want: more filtration capacity=cheap security.

Cool I'll go with the pl24011 for the s10. It is longer and the same specs. It's a 4 banger I have plenty of room to put this filter in. The Honda crv wow there are so many X ref filters that are bigger but not really longer. Apperently the accord uses pl14610 so I'll stick with that. Thanks everyone!!!

The 14610 is an excellent filter and I wouldn't use anything else for that application IMO. I use the 14612 on my Subaru, and it's tiny! Great filter though... it's not always how big it is
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back