Long treadlife tire recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 2008 Honda Civic sedan....

I’m looking for long life tires. The original tires (Goodyear) have 32,000 miles on it, and I’m thinking I can squeeze maybe 5,000 more out of them. While the vehicle is used for my daily commute up mountain grades (From 500’ to 4300’), I’m not looking for a performance tire. My main objective is long, long tire life. I also need something that can deal with occasional snow (I live in San Diego County so we really don’t get MUCH snow, but it can snow).
Tire rack shows the highest tread wear tire to be Michelin Hydoedge, at 800

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...autoModel=Civic

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTir...SINT&cs=205

Discount Tires also has a Pirelli Cinturato P5 with a treadwear of 760 (Tiretrack doesn’t sell these so I don’t have their review)

When I do buy, it’ll be at one of the local tire stores (Costco, Discount, Goodyear/Express, Big O, Evans). So do you have any suggestions or tips on my next tire purchase?

Thanks

Michelin Hydroedge wear like steel. I have only worn 2/32's off of mine in more then 20k miles. They are currently rated as 90k mile treadlife.

I measured my tread depth 2 weeks ago when I rotated my tires for the 2nd time. I have a tread depth gauge and the left front had 2/32 wear toward the outer edge. The rest of the tires had 1/32 wear. I have not needed to rebalance this set of tires.

FYI my set of tires started at 11/32s tread depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had great luck with the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. I put a new set on at 65,000 miles despite them having 5/32" left. I knew I could get something for them as used tires, so I jumped on a rebate deal Goodyear had.

The traction was the best I've had in an all-season overall. The deeper snow traction was great but started to fall off around 45,000 miles.

The only two issues I had was a rebalance at 40,000 miles and a puncture that was easy to patch.

EDIT to add: I would definitely buy these again.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Michelin.

I get mine from Sam's Club.

+1 for Michelin...Costco and Sam's club give the best deals...It almost pays to join them just to get tires.

Keeping a watch on your tire pressure helps a lot....Nitrogen air helps a lot also.

I'm very happy with the Michelin Harmony. I've had them on my accord for about 35k miles and they have hardly worn at all. They are rated 80k miles guaranteed. They are also great in snow and wet weather.

If you're shopping at Costco, check out the Michelin X Radial. One of the best values going. It has an 80,000 mile warranty, and with a smaller vehicle like a Civic, you should have no problems making 80,000 miles with that tire. I have them on our current van, and have had that tire on two other vehicles in the past as well. I currently have the Avid TRZs on my Corolla, but will probably put the X Radials on when the TRZs wear down.

Depending on the application, the hydro edges are a great LONG lasting tire.

I would use them on anything but a really high performance car.

I had them on an RSX, and they felt a little sloppy, although they were only a T rated tire.

They aparently wear VERY well though, and they were smooth, and extremely quiet.

For a bit more performance, the Triple Treads would also be a good choice.

I thought I was getting a long lasting tire with the Kumho Solus KR21. The warranty is for 85,000 miles. They are very worn coming up to 30,000 miles. I am taking a trip to Discount Tire this weekend to see what they have to say. There are some reviews on their site about being worn out half way through the warranty.

Kumho makes a good tire for the money. But they do wear more quickly then michelin or Goodyear. When you look at a Hankook or Kumho you have to expect half the treadwear warranty.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
Kumho makes a good tire for the money. But they do wear more quickly then michelin or Goodyear. When you look at a Hankook or Kumho you have to expect half the treadwear warranty.

You are probably right on this. But if I had known I would have gone ahead and got the more expensive tires at Costco. The few dollars I saved is not worth the hassle of going back to Discount Tire. 70,000 miles from an 80,000 mile warranty would be acceptable.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
If the Michelin's are pricey. Try the Yokohama TRZ as well. Excellent reviews on them.

Yeah, about those reviews. I went with the Avid TRZs for our CR-V based on their acclaim at Tirerack and HondaSUV when the OEM Duelers were done at 28K. Well, another 27K later, the TRZs are well into the wear bars, maybe 1/32" left. Getting Harmonys installed this Friday...shoulda listened to my local tire guy when he tried to suggest something else 2 years ago.

BTW, I have no complaints about how the TRZs actually performed except they didn't get close to their treadwear rating of 60K.

-Brent

Originally Posted By: RiverWolf
Spartuss said:
BTW, I have no complaints about how the TRZs actually performed except they didn't get close to their treadwear rating of 60K.

I've heard a lot of comments about this in general, about Yokohama tires. That they're not typically long-wearing tires. The TRZs on my Corolla have roughly 10k miles on them, and they look like they'll get at least three quarters of the way through the 80,000 miles they promise, unless the tread begins to wear at a faster rate as I get deeper into it. We'll see.

Originally Posted By: powayroger
I drive a 2008 Honda Civic sedan....
... My main objective is long, long tire life. I also need something that can deal with occasional snow (I live in San Diego County so we really don’t get MUCH snow, but it can snow).
Tire rack shows the highest tread wear tire to be Michelin Hydoedge, at 800

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...autoModel=Civic

Discount Tires also has a Pirelli Cinturato P5 with a treadwear of 760 (Tiretrack doesn’t sell these so I don’t have their review)

When I do buy, it’ll be at one of the local tire stores (Costco, Discount, Goodyear/Express, Big O, Evans). So do you have any suggestions or tips on my next tire purchase?

Thanks

Onlinetires.com has lower price on Michelin Hydoedge at about $101 + shipping. You should print the price from Onlinetires.com and ask the local tire stores to match the price. America Tires in Orange County do price match any tire from any source.

Uniroyals FTW!!! 110,000 miles on original Uniroyals on my wifes Bravada before we bought new tires and they still had tread on them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back