New tires & their iffy reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm purchasing new tires for my 2003 Civic. 185/65-15's

Discount Tire had the best price for all season 65,000 mile tires.

$66 per + 10.50 per for install/balance. After tax it comes to $348.00

Falken Sn-828

These are the tires in question, and the salesman recommended them. The reviews however make me quiver....

Thoughts or other products I should look into. I need an All season tire as I live in chicago.

I'd avoid falken tires in general.

What type of driving do you do.. spirited , grandpa, average?
what are you looking for out of your tires?

max performance?

quiet?

long treadlife?

wet traction?
snow traction?
fuel economy mpg?

if all of the above what is the most important?

you can also goto tirerack.com or similar and look at reviews.. try to filter out the wierd ones.. and bias more towards owners who own similar car..

ie a hyundai elantra vs a 4000lb minivan.

or answer my questions and I'll try to suggest some.
I could without answers but lack of information gives you very generic answers.

Last edited:
I've used Falken tires on large trucks had really good wear from them ,the car tires vary, depends on your style of driving.

Yokohama AVID Touring-S is a much better tire than Falken SN-828. I have it on LS400 and it performs very well on wet and dry. We don't have snow in So Cal.

I rotated my tires and they have some cupping on them. It was recommended to change them and get an alignment. The current tires are 1 direction only. Regardless of rotation they are noisy and not wearing as they should. I think its to late to fix the cupping and I need a fresh alignment and tires.

I drive 60 miles daily and consider myself an average driver. I'd like a tire that I can get 60k+ out of. I cruise at 80 mph, rarely faster.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Yokohama AVID Touring-S is a much better tire than Falken SN-828. I have it on LS400 and it performs very well on wet and dry. We don't have snow in So Cal.

What makes it much better?

Discounttire will match the lowest price so I can the Yokohama AVID Touring-S for $72 per, only $20 more overall then the Falkens.

I had some suggestions but I'll go look at what DT has first.

also would you consider upsizing to 195/65R15?

they are actually cheaper as its a very popular size..

Ok back from DT site.
In 195/65r15

Hankook 727(this model only) are amazing for what they are.. an average passenger tire. 84$

Cooper CS4 is an excellent tire 90$ (the 80000 treadlife onesd

dont let them bait and switch to different model from same manufacturer.

if you want to stay with 185/65

I'd get .

either the cs4 touring 80000mile

or
the yokohama TRZ or avid touring S

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
I had some suggestions but I'll go look at what DT has first.

also would you consider upsizing to 195/65R15?

they are actually cheaper as its a very popular size..

Ok back from DT site.
In 195/65r15

Hankook 727(this model only) are amazing for what they are.. an average passenger tire. 84$

Cooper CS4 is an excellent tire 90$ (the 80000 treadlife ones)

Thank you, I'll shop those tires and see which one I can get for cheapest over the original Falkens

Cooper Cs4 71.17 per (if they price match)
Yokohama AVID TOURING- S $71.00 (if they price match)

Last edited:
They look like a reasonable enough tire. They aren't super cheap, I think it's a Japanese Firestone product. They probably perform well in dry & rain.

Just got off the phone. Guy who sold me the Falkens answered...

They had the Avid Touring S in stock and would price match.

I reserved them for Thursday.

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I'm on my second set of the Avid Touring (now S) on an 01 Civic. Bought both at DT, and was very satisfied with first set, got ~65k.

Imo, the Avid Touring S is a very decent reasonably priced tire. And, if it matters to you, they are made in the US.

Fwiw, I switched sizes from the oe size 185/65-15 when the oem Firestones came off. Went to 195/60-15 size, which for 2004 became the oe size for the same (7th)generation Civic. It has a bit larger contact patch the 185/65, not sorry I did that.

Not knowing much about tires (they are very complex) i have to rely on reviews and recommendations like most people.
I use tire Rack or the ADAC to get a good idea of what seems to be working well and so far so good, the testing and comments have been pretty accurate.

The ADAC does extensive real world testing and take no advertising. Normally this info is published in their member magazine and auto magazines but here is something based on their testing.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-European-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

Originally Posted By: Trav
Not knowing much about tires (they are very complex) i have to rely on reviews and recommendations like most people.
I use tire Rack or the ADAC to get a good idea of what seems to be working well and so far so good, the testing and comments have been pretty accurate.

The ADAC does extensive real world testing and take no advertising. Normally this info is published in their member magazine and auto magazines but here is something based on their testing.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-European-Summer-Tyre-Test.htm

the problem with that link is 4/5 the model names are changed when its europe vs north America .. etc.

is there a list anywhere of what European model corresponds to what NA model (if applicable)

Last edited:
Every time I've had budget-brand tires (Hankook, Toyo, Falken, Kumho) or budget models from big brands, I've been disappointed -- even when the reviews were mostly positive.

Every time I've had high-end tires from big brands (Continental, Bridgestone, Michelin), I've been happy -- even when the reviews were mixed.

On the few occasions when I've bought tires based on the advice of a tire tech or salesman, I've ended up regretting it.

No exceptions. Seriously, not one.

I have a set of Hankook H727 on my Sonata. They have about 15k miles on them. They're working great so far. They are only T speed rated, if that matters to you.

They're very quiet on the highway, which is one major thing I wanted.

Last edited:
Whoa!!!!!

I guess my tires have been bad for quite awhile. I just got the Yokohama avid touring S's installed. These tires are silent. I'm not able to hear any road noise. I always thought that my honda was just loud and lacked sound deadening......

Its like driving a new vehicle.

Now go get a proper alignment before you start developing irregular wear patterns on the new set of tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back