General vs Cooper snow tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just scored a killer deal on a spare set of rims for the Outback, so I can pick up some winter rubber.

Size:
215/65/16(optional) or 225/60/16(stock)

Looking at good bang-for-the-buck tires. Opinions on THESE tires only please.

General Altimax Arctic
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTir...CINT&cs=225

Cooper Weathermaster S/T 2
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTir...CINT&cs=225

Know the General is a well reguarded tire, but I'm not a huge fan of directional tires like that. The Cooper looks like a very dated design though.

Thoughts?

I've run them both, although I had both sets studded up. Really can't go wrong with either, both had outstanding traction. Coopers were a little bit squirmier at speed.

coopers are very loud and obnoxious compared to the general

out of those 2 I would get the generals but only if you are studding them.

the hankook i409's are good too from dtd.

do you have 16's or 17's

not much available in 16's in either of those size.

Last edited:
Studs aren't legal here, so...

As I mentioned in the first post, I have 16" wheels stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
well since I checked DTD and they didnt list either of your tires as available in either of your sizes I was checking for a typo.. I actually did read your post....

in fact 225/60r16 has ig-20's

and 215/65r16 has nothing.

also studded tires depend on the studs for ice traction.

If you arent studding and expect ice I would go with a studless tire.

Tirerack does sell many in both of your sizes

I'm for its winter and its gonna be squishy regardless I'd go with 215/65r16

nothing is going to make them feel like regular all seasons unless you buy something like xice xi3's which are close.

Last edited:
Winter tires grip ice pretty well. They put holes in them for studs because customers demand them. I'd get the Generals or i409s like recommended above.

The Generals aka Gislaved Nord Frost 3 are a good tire for its price. Even unstudded. I don't find myself driving on an ice skating rink nor the frozen tundra doing logging runs.... so studs are rarely needed. Even when I hit black ice, the drama was very very minimal.

I have driven both.

The coopers have two things really working against them. Dated technology and okay performance in their hey day.

The Generals were excellent in their hey day and offer superior dry/wet/noise capabilities.

I think most folks forget the most important aspect of winter tires, dry & wet performance. The majority of the winter is dry/wet not winter conditions so why suffer for the one-three weeks having winter tires is beneficial?

The Generals, no question.

The Coopers are probably nice and deep and squirmy for better heavy snow traction but the Generals should be superior in every other area.

The General's are a high scoring/reviewed winter tire so, between the two, I'd pick the GenAltAtc (;{o

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back