Long term effects & Shelf life of PEA in gas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So recently I got a 6 month driving ban, and I have a question about storing additivized fuel..

Just before the ban I threw in a full bottle of SI1 and filled up on Shell, and now that mix is gonna sit in my tank unused for the next 6 months - my question is?

Although SI1 is not Stabil, will it have any ability to preserve the gas over time? Does Redline by itself have a shelf life?
Does a fuel/redine mix have a shelf life?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

Throw some Stabil in and you'll be fine. Let it run through the fuel system. No worries I have stored my boat engines with SI1 in the tank along with a double dose of stabil for 2 years no issues. SI1 is really gasoline detergent according to the guy at Redline.

Last edited:
I'd be more concerned about getting the car in a garage and out of the sunlight and weather. Your fuel system will be just fine like it is. Don't even bother starting the engine until you're ready to start driving, again. Get the battery disconnected and hooked up to a battery tender. And put some rat/mice poison under the car and check for furry visitors every now and then.

Originally Posted By: Olas

Although SI1 is not Stabil, will it have any ability to preserve the gas over time? Does Redline by itself have a shelf life?
Does a fuel/redine mix have a shelf life?

Thanks in advance
smile.gif

I would say a definite maybe. SI-1 has a datasheet (last copyright is 2003), although I'm not sure how accurate it is given how they could change their formula. They claimed it contains an antioxidant to prevent gum and varnish. Basically fuel stabilizers are antioxidants to prevent oxidation of the fuel.

Quote:
http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/S1-1 Tech Info.pdf

The detergents and antioxidants help prevent the formation of gum and varnish in gasoline, and the rust inhibitors prevent corrosion.

I used to put SI-1 in my gas cans, although I'm not sure it was better than Sta-Bil.

It should be ok to put the redline for long time, redline characteristic is like heavy oil. If you never try, you can't light up redline with match stick.

As long as your petrol doesnt have ethanol you should be fine with redline si-1 in the tank. SI-1 is great for long term storage and I have ran it when I wasnt going to drive our 51 Chevy. If ethanol is involved find a ethanol cleaner that neutralizes its effects. If you cant drive have someone add a fuel storage additive with 0 ethanol fuel if possible and worry no more. Wishing you well on getting back on the road. You might consider pulling battery inside as it could drain while sitting.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
If a car sat for that long would something like Ceretec or Mos2 in the oil help if ran to prevent dry start?

Yes.
They leave their coating on preventing metal on metal.

There's a used oil analysis recently posted where the guy used ceratec and the lab even commented that wear metals were significantly lower.
Not that it put much stock in wear metals on a used oil analysis however I'm just regurgitating the labs comments.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
If a car sat for that long would something like Ceretec or Mos2 in the oil help if ran to prevent dry start?

6 months is not that long. The best oil I have ever used for stored engines was Quicksilver 25w40 marine dino. Even after sitting for a year cold starts were always very quiet. I have stored up to 2 years and just turned the key and started them right up. But let them sit on idle for 5-10 minutes before applying any throttle.

For 6 months i wouldn't even think about it. Every car i have sits that long at some point during the year, either all summer or winter.

Last edited:
and as far as the battery goes---if you want to just unhook the positive cable from the battery terminal and wrap a rag or something else around it to keep it from touching the terminal the battery will be fine once you go to restart it. No need to pull & maintain the battery, if it is decent/average shape to begin with

Thanks for your input guys, I threw a big bottle of stabil in the tank and topped off with more shell to keep any condensation forming in the tank (it's steel).

The battery came out and I put it on maintain/charge a while ago to ease my mind about thieves seeing it not moving and thinking they might take it - certain other anti-theft tweaks are in place too but I won't say what they are on a public forum..

I'll just keep on checking the tyre pressures and turning it round each weekend, and a wash every two or three weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back