Long Term 5w-30 use in Honda 1.5t

2022 Civic Sport Touring 1.5t currently running 0w-20 as the manual specifies and filling up with Top Tier 87 Octane but I've heard this L15B7 and variants do show 5w-30 in owners manuals in other parts of the world. However there may be other differences such as fuel which is more "potent" outside of the US which may be a factor in this (I don't know if it is or not but just thinking)

I'd like to keep the car for a long time as I'm already over having a car payment, curious if anyone has used 5w-30 long term in these engines and how they have been holding up. I don't have many short trips and drive pretty gently typically for MPG, but willing to trade off savings a few cents or a dollar per tank if it gives me a bit better protection. I'm doing 17,500 or so miles a year so getting to 200k would be nice, the car is really nice and versatile enough that I don't see a need for something bigger since we do have a CRV 1.5t in the house (which I'd put on the same diet if I make the jump to 5w-30)

Currently 5k OCI with factory filters and M1 EP 0w-20, would be using the same interval and filter but with M1 EP 5w-30. I know this has been covered here before but hoping to get some more feedback in one place or maybe someone has newer info to share.

Potent fuel? What is that?

And a higher HT/HS reduces wear and it provides a margin for fuel dilution. It’s not detrimental except in a minor way for fuel consumption.

And yes it’s been covered before. Lots and lots and lots and lots of times. Like here where you participated (but there are many more). If you need me to link 20-30 of them let me know:

Last edited:
You don’t have to link any, I would actually prefer for you not to respond further as I find your overly sarcastic attitude to be very unpleasant
I asked about that potent fuel you mentioned, what does that mean?

And you already indicated you knew it’s been covered before.

What exactly was overly sarcastic in my response?

2022 Civic Sport Touring 1.5t currently running 0w-20 as the manual specifies and filling up with Top Tier 87 Octane but I've heard this L15B7 and variants do show 5w-30 in owners manuals in other parts of the world. However there may be other differences such as fuel which is more "potent" outside of the US which may be a factor in this (I don't know if it is or not but just thinking)

I'd like to keep the car for a long time as I'm already over having a car payment, curious if anyone has used 5w-30 long term in these engines and how they have been holding up. I don't have many short trips and drive pretty gently typically for MPG, but willing to trade off savings a few cents or a dollar per tank if it gives me a bit better protection. I'm doing 17,500 or so miles a year so getting to 200k would be nice, the car is really nice and versatile enough that I don't see a need for something bigger since we do have a CRV 1.5t in the house (which I'd put on the same diet if I make the jump to 5w-30)

Currently 5k OCI with factory filters and M1 EP 0w-20, would be using the same interval and filter but with M1 EP 5w-30. I know this has been covered here before but hoping to get some more feedback in one place or maybe someone has newer info to share.
Try a "thick 5w-20 for hot months and a "thick" 0w-20 for cold months. Pup for me. Go to a thin 30w like PP 5w-30, if you "must". Better mpg 4 me with pup 5w-20 than with dealer tgmo 0w-20. .02 Ymmv.

I asked about that potent fuel you mentioned, what does that mean?

And you already indicated you knew it’s been covered before.

What exactly was overly sarcastic in my response?
The truth hurts sometimes you are known for not covering the truth with enough padding(for some) ;) :ROFLMAO:

Back on question I'm not sure what potent fuel means either.

I would definitely use a 5w30 in that engine its a known diluter. You will be 20wt halfway into your OCI.

i think what you may mean is the potent fuel or octain is higher in other places,it should not matter in a engine, check perhapes check your owners manual if this is the case,,for a good oil for the engine i would look at a 0w-30 ,Mobil,or Amsoil ss, etc. to help extend your engine life with longer oil change intervals,along with changing your filter each oil change.

i think what you may mean is the potent fuel or octain is higher in other places,it should not matter in a engine, check perhapes check your owners manual if this is the case,,for a good oil for the engine i would look at a 0w-30 ,Mobil,or Amsoil ss, etc. to help extend your engine life with longer oil change intervals,along with changing your filter each oil change.
Potent did mean higher octane, I believe Europe's "regular" is akin to the Premium in the US (or maybe that's a difference of RON vs PON).

Mostly looking to see if anyone has used 5w-30 long term in one of these 1.5t engines and to see how its been. Long term = 100k miles or more, ish. I don't want to jump into 5w-30 and then at 100 or 150k miles run into some unforeseen issue

been running 5w30 in my '17 6MT hatch for close to 70k miles now. done several UOA along the way. mostly regular gasoline, but did premium for around 7k miles to see if it'll have an effect on oil dilution. it did, but not to the degree that it'd make sense to continued paying the premium for the premium. last 20k miles or so on PPPP5w30, one more jug left. My '16 pilot is also on 5w30 now. hope this helps

Potent did mean higher octane, I believe Europe's "regular" is akin to the Premium in the US (or maybe that's a difference of RON vs PON).

It is entirely their rating system. They use Research Octane Number, so when you see regular gas in Europe that is labeled 91 octane, it's actually only 87 octane under our rating system in North America. The highest octane at the pumps that I've heard of in Europe is 99 octane, but that's equivalent to 94 octane here (which is readily available in Ontario at a lot of Petro Canada locations, that's what I run in my Vette actually)

been running 5w30 in my '17 6MT hatch for close to 70k miles now. done several UOA along the way. mostly regular gasoline, but did premium for around 7k miles to see if it'll have an effect on oil dilution. it did, but not to the degree that it'd make sense to continued paying the premium for the premium. last 20k miles or so on PPPP5w30, one more jug left. My '16 pilot is also on 5w30 now. hope this helps
THANK YOU, this is super helpful and exactly the type of response I was looking for as far as sustained use. Have you used M1 EP 5w-30? I think its a little thicker than Pennzoil stuff but don't remember. And I hear you on the fuel cost, I remember when jumping from 87-89-93 was about a dime a gallon, now its close to a dollar

Last edited:
The differences between euro fuel and American is the additives / levels of detergents for the most part. American fuel has less of it in general. I run an ethanol blend for higher octane, this negates the carbon issue as ethanol actually cleans injectors and burns cooler than regular fuel.

Either way, good reason to run fuel system cleaners pretty often. Especially in diesel applications. No addtitives in diesel.

Higher octane fuel is not a more "potent" fuel. It's a slower burning fuel for higher compression engines and engines with more advanced ignition timing.
Nor is high octane "slower burning". Higher Octane is more resistant to ignition prior to the spark plug firing. Once that plug fires, high octane gas burns as quickly as lower octane gas.

Any reason to use Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum instead of M1 EP for our use case? Currently getting the M1 EP for under $5 a quart but would consider something else in this price range if its notably better. Not interested in spending big bucks on Amsoil or HPL etc. I went back and forth on whether to move to 5w-30 but seeing as neither of our cars has issues with 0w-20 I decided to stick with specced

What changed your mind from April 17th when you posted this? The 0W20 has worked for you so I would stick with that.

Back