long life coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
my work van a 1997 astro had a radiator failure after nearly 255,000 miles. the coolant was replaced with the prestone LL coolant,it had dexcool prior to the repair.my concern is the color;its green just like the IAT prestone.a flush was not performed but the lower radiator hose was removed to evacuate the old coolant from the block and heater core.anyone know what color the HOAT prestone is?

No HOAT Prestone coolant exists. All of Prestone's long life coolants are OAT.

Prestone LL coolant in the "universal" label is supposedly the same formulation as the DexCool fluid, but without the dye and official GM licensing.

Critic, when I compared MSDS sheets 3 years ago the Prestone LL and Dexcool used a different OAT. I don't remember which OATs they were.

May have changed, but Ray H did some research and came to the conclusion that the universal fluid is merely repackaged DexCool in a different dye.

Either way, the OP has nothing to worry about in this case...

Dex uses a potasium OAT and Prestone uses a sodium OAT.

Dexcool MSDS
Extended-Life Antifreeze Coolant Mixture 100 %weight
Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 90 - 97 %weight
Potassium 2-Ethylhexanoate 3164-85-0 1 - 5 %weight
Deionized water 7732-18-5 1 - 3 %weight

Prestone®
DEX-COOL APPROVED! Extended Life
Ethylene Glycol (aerosol)
107-21-1
80-95%
Diethylene Glycol
111-46-6
0-5%
Sodium Nitrite
7632-00-0
Water
7732-18-5
>1%
2-Ethyl Hexanoic Acid, Sodium Salt
19766-89-3
>1

I thought I read somewhere that Sodium and Potassium OATs serve the same purpose??

A Ford and a BMW serve the same purpose too
grin2.gif

There are lots of documented problems with Dexcool in less than perfect cooling systems. Prestone LL doesn't seem to be having the same problems. There is a lot less experiance with LL so that's not exactly conclusive.

Originally Posted By: ron350
XS650 thanks for the info can you give a link to the source?

Thanks
Ron

Sorry, I didn't save the links. If you Google MSDS and the name of the coolant, you will find MSDS sheets that list the ingredients.

Between bad links and other problems, you may need to click on a few.

Last edited:
I have a jug of GM DEX-COOL APPROVED Prestone 50/50 prediluted extended life coolant. It has the GM(R) and the DEX-COOL(R) logos on it.

The label says it contains sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate and sodium neodecanoate.

Whose Dex-Cool formulation contains potassium?

Answer: Texaco's Dex-Cool formulation contains potassium. But Texaco isn't the only company that makes a Dex-Cool coolant--Prestone does too, and theirs uses sodium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back