Long lasting snow tires

While they were the worst snow tire I've ever used, I put 15000 miles on a set of hankook ipikes and they barely used any tread!
Sounds about like my set. Long lived. In my case they seem better than a/s, but I've never tried a different set of snows on this truck, so they are both best and worst snow tires I've had on the truck.

While they were the worst snow tire I've ever used, I put 15000 miles on a set of hankook ipikes and they barely used any tread!
There is a correlation there, don't you think?

Soft compounding is required for good ice/snow performance.

Hard tires last a long time.

Which do you want? Tread life? Or good snow performance?

I had 40+ sets of snow tires, and Hankook's were the only one where I thought they made them to kill you.

Have a look at the Hercules line.
Ran them on a commercial fleet.
No complaints from the drivers, which says a lot.....
I believe since they’re owned by Cooper.

Hankook tires on the Toyota Matrix were treacherous white knuckle experience in ice/snow. Replaced with some Nokian tires which were night and day difference.

I had 40+ sets of snow tires, and Hankook's were the only one where I thought they made them to kill you.

That's the truth. I haven't even sold these tires yet because they are so terrible. I don't want to kill someone thinking they bought good snow tires.

I literally got out accelerated by a Nissan Versa leaving a stoplight with the Hankooks on my Subaru. I had absolutely no traction. The Nissan Versa was on all seasons.

I bought those tires late in the season; the car was purchased too far into October to be able to get a better set of snow tires. Only option in the size I wanted when I went to buy them.

I ran General Altimax for 9 years and still had 5/32 left....still gripped well, but it was time to change to new tires. Firestone Winterforce lasted long time, but the road noise was intolerable after half worn. Walmart Wintermate house brand also lasted 7 years at 4/32. Currently running X-Ice 3 so hopefully, they wear well.
Same here... I bought a set for both my car and the girlfriend. After some 7 seasons before my car was totaled, I had 7/32" remaining. Using them about 2-3 months per year. Quiet, no issues...

The girlfriends set are at 8/32" but now are too old... So I won't put them on, but still plenty of thread life left if the rubber wasn't compromised by age.

Fantastic winter tires... Deep snow, slush and whatever else. Huge traction. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat if I were to buy more snow tires.

The Hankooks I had worked good enough... except for the time I took a curve too fast and started to understeer... it's really my fault, not the tires... and those were the W300's that you hate.

I've had 3 sets of General Arctic Altimax studded tires and they were excellent, still have one set on one of our less driven vehicles ('98 Jeep) and am now using General Grabber Arctic studded on the two newer Jeeps ('17 and '07) and these are just as good. We have a set of Nokian Hakka SUV 8s studded on our Subaru and these are great as well, but more noisy than the Generals.

I've had 3 sets of General Arctic Altimax studded tires and they were excellent, still have one set on one of our less driven vehicles ('98 Jeep) and am now using General Grabber Arctic studded on the two newer Jeeps ('17 and '07) and these are just as good. We have a set of Nokian Hakka SUV 8s studded on our Subaru and these are great as well, but more noisy than the Generals.
I'm actually surprised that the Nokian studs would be louder than the General studs, since Nokian says their studs are supposed to be quieter due to having a shock absorber in them! :eek:

MASTERCRAFT Glacier Trex looks to be a good performing studdable snow tire . They're affiliated with COOPER . Reasonable cost too .

I'm actually surprised that the Nokian studs would be louder than the General studs, since Nokian says their studs are supposed to be quieter due to having a shock absorber in them! :eek:
I'm not sure if its the Subaru itself (2017 Forester) because we noticed the same thing with our previous Subaru Outback and Nokian snows. I had the same Nokians on the older Jeep and it was not as noisy as the Subaru.

The current Generals are extremely quiet for studded tires. With the windows closed you cannot hear the studs.

Here's my first set of Generals on the '07 Jeep, on Chrysler steel wheels, I also installed the OE TPMS system which on Jeeps is self learning so no re-programming needed. With these tires this thing is a beast in the snow. 330 hp, full time 4x4 and electronic locking diffs rear and in the FRONT which is very rare.

Attachments

• WK snow tire package.JPG
    WK snow tire package.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 14
I figured “long lasting snow tires” was an oxymoron.
Me too. I've bought many tires over the nearly 40 years I've lived in the upper Midwest and all have worn much more quickly than summer tires. One thing that helps to preserve them is to get them off the vehicle as soon as the weather starts to warm up.

And I completely agree that once they are worn down to the first set of wear bars they become much less effective in the snow.

Use 4 COOPER Evolution winter with studs for both cars . Have been in use for a few years and holding up well . Reasonable price too . Had rebate of $50 (or was it $40 ) to cover most of the cost for the studs . Have posts with pictures of them . Deep sipes close to base of tire . Tread pattern and stud placement look similar to the MASTERCRAFT Glacier Trex .

Last edited:
Back