Loctite Blue or Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to fix a loosening pulley setscrew on my front-loading washing machine, and wondering which Loctite I should tell the wife to pick up. I've heard Loctite Red (271) is for something that undergoes very severe vibration or that never should work itself out, while Loctite Blue (242) is for things that might need to be removed once in a while.

The rational part of me thinks that Blue is the way to go if I ever have to repair the thing again. Thoughts?

Red will come undone with a big wrench or a torch. Not much else will keep it from coming undone in my experience... much to my annoyance.

Blue is likely more than man enough for your application.

I only use Red on everything that I don't want to come loose.
I have never had problem loosening anything. Was it hard to come loose? Yes, that's what it's supposed to do.

Blue will hold most anything unless there is a really big shock loading or vibration. I use blue on almost everything because I don't want to get out a torch to heat stuff up before removal. But there are times when the other colors are needed.

I can drill/tap this hole again if need be. It's a single screw in the middle of the pulley that holds the pulley onto the drum. There's not a way to add more screws, even though such a design would be immune to the problem it's having now. I'd like the pulley to not flap about with the single setscrew loosening the second the wash drum starts spinning. The belt cut a 1/4" groove into the back of the plastic wash tub due to the pulley flopping about. So the pulley and associated setscrew are getting Loctited into place this time around.

It's also a royal pain to pull the machine out because it's heavy and on a raised washing area, so it needs to be supported as it comes out. We used my hydraulic jack and ramps last time to support it. Worked a treat once we got it moving!

To update: I ended up buying the Blue, not sure which number. The bolt that needed it is in there tighter than I can break it free with just a little L-shaped Allen wrench. I was worried about it since it was applied to the bolt being bolted into a blind hole. The Loctite is supposed to go into the hole, and the bolt inserted. I tried to back that bolt out, and it wouldn't budge. Mission accomplished (I hope!)!

AND clean the parts first. red is NOT for parts under 1/4 inch. it is for a place you think it will NEVER come a part.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back