Locked -vs unlocked Android smart phone? Does it matter?

I'm looking at buying a Google Pixel 4a (5G) so I can replace the default OS with CalyxOS (https://calyxos.org/).

I have not yet talked with Xfinity (who I have my t.v./internet/phone service with) to see if they sell an "unlocked" version of this phone, but I'm wondering if it even matters?

If I understand it correctly, the beauty of the Pixel phone (like many other Android phones) is that they can all be "unlocked" and their OSes replaced with one of your choosing...or am I wrong? Should I shop for a Pixel phone that's already "unlocked"...or does it really matter?

Thank you,
Ed

Xfinity locks the bootloader (the part you need to unlock in order to install Calyx OS) until the phone is on their network for 60 days AND paid in full so you really don't gain anything by buying the phone from them.

If they allow you to bring your own device you can buy a Pixel 4a 5G directly from Google and not have to deal with calling Xfinity customer support and getting them to unlock the bootloader. I'd call customer support and make sure you can activate a Pixel bought from Google. You should be able to, but it's worth asking ahead of time.

Edit: the device may need to be active on Xfinity for 60 days prior to unlocking the bootloader no matter what. Worth asking xfinity about.

Unlocked allows you to use the phone with any carrier which uses the same technology. This allows you to switch to some carriers without having to buy a new phone. IIRC Verizon used to be the carrier which used tech that prevented it from being compatible with phones made for T-Mobile/ATT.

Xfinity locks the bootloader (the part you need to unlock in order to install Calyx OS) until the phone is on their network for 60 days AND paid in full so you really don't gain anything by buying the phone from them.

If they allow you to bring your own device you can buy a Pixel 4a 5G directly from Google and not have to deal with calling Xfinity customer support and getting them to unlock the bootloader. I'd call customer support and make sure you can activate a Pixel bought from Google. You should be able to, but it's worth asking ahead of time.

Edit: the device may need to be active on Xfinity for 60 days prior to unlocking the bootloader no matter what. Worth asking xfinity about.
Thank you!

What can I do with my current iPhone 8, which is in mint condition? Can I sell it? How? Where?

:)

Ed

Unlocked allows you to use the phone with any carrier which uses the same technology. This allows you to switch to some carriers without having to buy a new phone. IIRC Verizon used to be the carrier which used tech that prevented it from being compatible with phones made for T-Mobile/ATT.
There's two different locks or unlocks involved here - 1) carrier network lock as you refer to and 2) bootloader locked which tightly controls the phone's software.

Edit: the device may need to be active on Xfinity for 60 days prior to unlocking the bootloader no matter what.
If you buy a device from Google, it won't be bootloader locked. Isn't that one of Google's benefits ? I'm surprised Google allows carriers to lock their bootloaders as well. I'd be surprised if a carrier can lock an already unlocked bootloader too. I've been out of the Android and rooting game for a while though...

If you buy a device from Google, it won't be bootloader locked. Isn't that one of Google's benefits ? I'm surprised Google allows carriers to lock their bootloaders as well. I'd be surprised if a carrier can lock an already unlocked bootloader too. I've been out of the Android and rooting game for a while though...
I'm not entirely certain, but folks that have brought carrier unlocked phones from other devices to Xfinity have reported having the bootloader locked. It's sort of grey because these same people don't indicate whether the bootloader was unlocked before coming to xfinity.

I think in the case of Xfinity the bootloader being locked is related to the SIM being locked, but I could be wrong.

Thank you!

What can I do with my current iPhone 8, which is in mint condition? Can I sell it? How? Where?

:)

Ed
Cellphones are carrier locked when you get it from a discount from a carrier. The lock guarantees the phone is a brick until after your contract is paid in full. After that get the iphone Unlocked from your cellular carrier. You want to be sure anyone that gets it will have no problem activating it on the new carriers network.

You want to be sure anyone that gets it will have no problem activating it on the new carriers network.
Most people don't go to that effort.... What I've seen, they simply indicate "works on Verizon" or "used on ATT" and buyers pick their (used) phone purchase that way. More savvy sellers will have the carrier unlock it ahead of time and advertise it that way. You can get a little bit more money that way too.

Most people don't go to that effort.... What I've seen, they simply indicate "works on Verizon" or "used on ATT" and buyers pick their (used) phone purchase that way. More savvy sellers will have the carrier unlock it ahead of time and advertise it that way. You can get a little bit more money that way too.
What / where's the "best" way to sell my iPhone 8?

Ed

not at all geeky but i read where locked to a carrier phones have a lot more bloatware. i am still learning about my smarter than me sony xperia xz phone i got to head off the 3G end. having the very old cheep 10 cents a minute plan that i learned does not allow any MMS with smart phones, i only talk as needed so no spendy plans but need to send pics off + on.

Too much into the weeds, but... the last time I bought an unlocked Android, was buying my Motorola Moto X4-One, so I an just swap my sim card from my Samsung S7 I got from AT&T to my X4-One, which has none of the bloatware from the carrier AND the phone manufacturer, since the "Android One" is very minimal in bloatware even from Motorola, which is supposedly as pure of a Android O/S short of a Google phone.

Back