Local Part price

I was replacing the parts-store rebuilt starters on my Impala about every 16-18 months and finally threw in the towel and got an AC Delco. Sure it cost more but it's been three years so far. Not that it's a difficult job, but at some point I decided enough is enough.

And still for that price still are probably not getting top quality pads like Akebono ProAct.

It pains me to see/hear our daughters get ripped off on brake repairs because they are girls and don't know the right/tough questions to ask.
So as a repair facility, usually the highest priority is how soon can the part arrive. That is why shops don't use Amazon or RockAuto, we can usually get stuff an hour or so after we order it. Plus if there are any warranty issues, dealing with a local parts jobber is substantially easier than Amazon or Rock. Usually its picking up the phone and asking if they have pads or whatever in stock. Usually just one quality level. I actually had someone get pissed at me because we only stock the factory Mazda brake pads and don't carry some $15 a set cheap ones like a parts house. Um sorry you called the dealer?

They shut down Napa, Pepboys, and a few others changed hands.. Owner of Napa stated that he didn't know how long he could afford to stay open, then less than a year they closed the door.
There's more involved than the price they sell a part at. Sure, the Autozones, AAP, and so on have better buying power so that item costs less for them to buy, so if they turn around and sell it for the same price as NAPA, the chain store will make more margin. They probably have quite a bit more overhead though.

I am still a fan of bringing in my own parts for routine maintenance I am not going to do myself. But if I bring my car in for a front suspension work I am not going to guess which part is worn and bring it in.

How can locals say that they are not making money?
I don't know if they are or are not making money, but retail space and retail staff costs a lot of money.

Even if the local store doesn't have the part, they can typically get it next day at worst. If you want that from RA shipping is like $150 for early AM for even a small part.

Its called time/place utility. Its like a beer at the grocery is under a buck, and the beer at the ball game is $12. You want it now - or you want it later.

Not defending anyone, and I literally never buy anything from any of the local part stores, but I have in the past, when I needed something running today, not a week from today.

Perhaps a rating system for thread topics which come up repeatedly?

That immediately available parts are more expensive than those dispatched from a few national warehouses isn't surprising.

What's mind numbing is the inevitable short life / cheap quality of offered rebuilds.

That’s like comparing a grocery store to a food freezer warehouse and complaining why the grocery store is more expensive.

The difference is in overhead costs. Warehouses are dirt cheap to run when compared to the retail stores.
So obviously the ideal location for a BITOG member to live is in same town as a RockAuto distribution center. Then factor in hot or cold location for battery life. And south or rust belt for vehicle rusting. And finally what area of the country do they build one bedroom five car garage homes?

Back