rebuilt/reman ABS pump/module

My Navigator needs an ABS module. Checked on Ford parts sites on the Interwebs, least expensive I could find was a little less than $1000. Local dealer wants $1250. None of the parts stores have a listing for it.

I found some outfits online that claim to rebuild/reman your factory abs pump and come with a reasonable warranty. Are any of these any good? The price difference makes it pretty attractive, but if I'm just throwing money down a hole it's a useless exercise.

My ABS/DSC failed on my BMW. Common on cars and bikes. The dreaded 5DF0/F1.

Since dealer wanted $4200 not even remotely possible.

I had it rebuilt for $249 and DIY’d. I needed software, the Motive, some line wrenches, a telescoping magnet, fluid. Ended up being $500 all in.

These guys did it and had a 5 year warranty. It’s now been 7 years no issues. I said it then and I’ll say it now—they’d get 100 stars from me, 5/5 is not enough

I'll add another vote for Module Master. The ABS module on my 2001 Silverado flaked out around 5 years old. I sent it to them for a rebuild and it has worked fine for the 17 years since.

They rebuilt the electronic control module only, not the pump itself.

My Navigator needs an ABS module. Checked on Ford parts sites on the Interwebs, least expensive I could find was a little less than $1000. Local dealer wants $1250. None of the parts stores have a listing for it.

I found some outfits online that claim to rebuild/reman your factory abs pump and come with a reasonable warranty. Are any of these any good? The price difference makes it pretty attractive, but if I'm just throwing money down a hole it's a useless exercise.
Is used possible?

I'll add another vote for Module Master. The ABS module on my 2001 Silverado flaked out around 5 years old. I sent it to them for a rebuild and it has worked fine for the 17 years since.

They rebuilt the electronic control module only, not the pump itself.
I did the same on a 99 Silverado. It was good as new for whatever years I owned it after that. As I recall the failure was one electronic part that had a very high rate of POF. Other than that it got cleaned up and some solder joints reflowed.

Is used possible?
Tried that already.

When my leg was broken in December 22, I had to have someone else do my brakes, my BIL has a used car lot so I asked his mechanic to do it, I had new rotors and pads all the way around already, but it's hard to work on cars when your leg is broken. I also asked him to look at the ABS error on the dash, they got a used ABS module and put it in, but the error persisted, so they put the original back in. Their diagnosis was the same as mine - I have Forscan, everything seems to point to the ABS module. I wasn't there so I don't know went wrong with the changeover, the new module has to be coded to the PCM apparently, not sure if that didn't go right or something else, or if the used one was just bad.

I've lived with the error for a while now but it's not a spurious error - the wheels will lock up if you brake hard. I transport my family in this car so it would be better to fix it, I'm just looking for a more affordable option. The Module Master Tier 2 option to send the module and motor to them seems like a good one, I had seen that site before but wasn't sure what to think, but now that several forum members have vouched for them, it's probably worth a shot for a quarter of the price of a brand new one. If it ends up being something else, then having a 5 year warranty on the ABS module will still be of good value to me, it will probably cover the remaining time I have with this vehicle, about 3 years until we pay off my wife's car, then we'll probably look for a new one at that time.

I'm also open to other advice if someone here or IRL thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Have you looked for used on eBay? Usually pretty affordable. Some sellers list mileage and some even vins that allows you to verify low miles with an online vin checker

Is disabling the module an option?
Car should have already disabled it. At least in PA one can pass a safety inspection with a yellow brake warning, but not a red.

One nice thing with the BMW was the hill holder was disabled which is super annoying. Leaving a stop if there’s an incline the rear brakes are grabbing. But the stability was also disabled which I am of the camp is important. It stopped working on the Maxima and I was fine with no ABS.

Do you just need the module or the entire assembly (pump, etc.)?

After I found out what rebuilders actually do to rebuild these modules, I went for it myself (found a YT video).

How ambitious do you feel? Good with a soldering iron? I was looking for a project so I dove in....

I've opened up the Kelsey-Hays module on the Safari after I was getting both ABS and Brake warning lights. Oddly enough, the warning lights started a few weeks after I had engaged the ABS system.

I reflowed the fractured solder joints and all was good when reassembled and installed. The hard part was removing the module cover (they glued it instead of screwed it), removing all the old sealant, sourcing heat sink compound, sealant and re-fitting the cover.

EBCM Disassembly 01.jpg
EBCM Disassembly 02.jpg

IIRC, there were 5 or 6 locations like this. Other than removing the cover, no other disassembly was necessary to get to the solder side of the PCA.

Back