Local Part price

I needed a starter for 2012 Impala and needed one asap. Local wanted just under 300.00 and RockAuto wanted 162. Local was remanufactured unknown and RockAuto was GM New with no core charge. How can locals say that they are not making money?

Hi, i grew up in Slidell for 10 years and dearly miss the area.

I would try for a big chain like Advance Auto, Oreillys, or Autozone and get whichever one has the lifetime warranty. It might still be somewhat of a premium unit, but you at least have that assurance. Advance currently has a 15-20% coupon if you buy it online FEBDEAL.

Good luck.

1708043055740.jpg

I needed a starter for 2012 Impala and needed one asap. Local wanted just under 300.00 and RockAuto wanted 162. Local was remanufactured unknown and RockAuto was GM New with no core charge. How can locals say that they are not making money?
Some parts houses just want to sell wholesale to independent shops. So they purposefully price themselves high for retail foot traffic.

Hi, i grew up in Slidell for 10 years and dearly miss the area.

I would try for a big chain like Advance Auto, Oreillys, or Autozone and get whichever one has the lifetime warranty. It might still be somewhat of a premium unit, but you at least have that assurance. Advance currently has a 15-20% coupon if you buy it online FEBDEAL.

Good luck.

View attachment 203760
300 vs 162. 162 is GM new and 24 months unlimited.

The key is you needed it ASAP. You are not shopping on price when it´s 8~45 pm on a Saturday night and need a starter ASAP. You go where the part is and buy it. It is a monopoly at that point and the only hope is if they are willing to price match.

Last edited:
It has been a few years since I bought a part from my local parts store. Way too expensive. With a spare vehicle, I can wait for my online purchases to arrive at a much cheaper price. It's pretty bad when I can get oil cheaper at a drug store versus a large parts store.

B&M is usually more expensive than Online.
The rent on B&M increases working capital by a few factors.

Lately, I am also checking the stealership.
At least for Toyota, sometimes, they are cheaper especially for small parts like PCV, Spark Plugs, Gas Cap, Thermostat.
Then I can go and pick it up.

The key is you needed it ASAP. You are not shopping on price when it´s 8~45 pm on a Saturday night and need a starter ASAP. You go where the part is and buy it. It is a monopoly at that point and the only hope is if they are willing to price match.
Exactly, my point from my first post was to still try and help OP to ease the local cost price, but I guess this thread is really only to complain. Welcome to 2024. 🤷‍♂️

Yup, and you see people getting $80 oil changes and brake jobs for $700 PER AXLE.
Folks want $15/hr min wage, social safety nets, environmental protections, increased energy efficiency, recovery of refrigerants, disposal of hazmat, etc. etc.

Not saying what’s bad or good, but everything costs. And everyone will try to make the next dime on each of those things. So what do you expect? It results in $200/hr burdened cost of labor for a laboring schmuck making much less. A lot of these places the owners aren’t wealthy…

Back