LLT 3.6L Timing Chains

Finished it up today, Just got to add oil & test drive. Letting the RTV cure for 24 hours.

e2Aj9R4.jpg

Did the LFX fix the problem, or just "address" it. I find it hard to trust them. How many years has it been out.

Why is there a LGY?

rod
LGY is the twin turbo Cadillac engine as of 2020.

The fourth generation GM 3.6 V6 came out in 2016 in Cadillacs then was used later in other GM FWD cars/SUV's. It is referred to as the LGX (the Colorado/Canyon truck version is the LGZ and came out in 2017). The fourth generation V6 has a completely redesigned timing chain system with a simpler design featuring two chains and six sprockets vs. the previous three chains and nine sprockets, with lower chain loads. It also has a built in "catch can" to control oil vapor deposits on the valves. I have seen no reports of timing chain failures on the fourth gen engine.

I love these threads. On a technical level, they go far deeper than any knowledge I have about how vehicles operate and how they're repaired. As a lifelong IT guy (largely learned through experience vs schooling) who loves vehicles, I find these threads fascinating even if I sometimes spend a bunch of time going to google to find out what items are or what terms mean. The pictures are icing on the cake!

Thanks for posting!

I've done with and without, the cams don't move, but nice to have the security of knowing they won't move when you aren't watching.

Don't see how they can move with the "Flats" of the camshafts up unless you physically move them against valve spring pressure.

I'll buy tools when I see value in them or there's no way around it....Like the Ford/Mazda DOHC 2.3L Friction Washer engine. I like the cam holders for the Ford 3.5L/3.7L V6 out of convenience, But I can time them without the holders.

Ford 4.6L/5.4L 3V Timing service information is written by a retard......They tell you to remove certain Rocker Followers to prevent bending valves when you remove the chains.....All you have to do is set the crank where no piston is at TDC which we were doing for years on 2V versions of these.

The GM 1.8L Timing Belt engine (Base Cruze) is an interesting one, I just make reference marks with a paint pen before removing the belt & have a assistant hold the cams still while I walk the belt around & work the tensioner.

URWiWci.jpg

io2tGPD.jpg

I have done about 40 of these 3.6 Timing chains - including my own CTS. Never a fun job, but not that bad after doing a few. The rear wheel drive cars are easy, I do SRX's with motor still in but all the Acadias and similar I lower the subframe like you did.

Back