LLT 3.6L Timing Chains

It is so nice to see those Texas subframes looking like new on a 12yr/old vehicle. Had that been a Buffalo vehicle, it would probably be scrap by now. You'd probably spend 2.5hrs just trying to get the CV shafts out of the knuckles.

Cool pics and write up!

Mother's 2012 Impala 3.6 is at 150k and so far no noise or check engine light. It is using a qt between 5k changes with PP.
By 2012 the LLT 3.6 should have the updated timing components from the factory. It doesn’t guarantee you won’t have a problem, but the later LLT engines have far less problems than the earlier build LLT.

The LFX redesign addressed the timing chain issue entirely.

After seeing this thread I think I’m done with BITOG. It’s truly disheartening to see what appears to be a competent mechanic take short cuts and potentially damage a vehicle further because “it was already damaged”. I’ve seen and heard this from shops in the past and it boggles my mind. Doing the job right means to do everything correctly, that includes securing and lifting the vehicle. It’s the “not my problem” mentality that has become so rampant in the repair/service industry and this is a perfect example.

@clinebarger I hope you don’t take this personally, but this is the perspective I see it.

Take care.

After seeing this thread I think I’m done with BITOG. It’s truly disheartening to see what appears to be a competent mechanic take short cuts and potentially damage a vehicle further because “it was already damaged”. I’ve seen and heard this from shops in the past and it boggles my mind. Doing the job right means to do everything correctly, that includes securing and lifting the vehicle. It’s the “not my problem” mentality that has become so rampant in the repair/service industry and this is a perfect example.

@clinebarger I hope you don’t take this personally, but this is the perspective I see it.

Take care.

I'm not damaging them, They're barely pushed up & it's against the rubber pad insert. I'm very mindful of rocker covers & running boards.

Thanks for posting these repair threads, this one is another big job and I like to see the details in the process in what you've taken on. Haven't helped pull a motor for years, and back then it would have been with my father and usually a straight 6 out the top, or front as necessary.

Well....I hoped to get further along than I did today, But the Phasers are a different design than the one's originally on the engine.

*Read ALL TSB's as I can see this easily overlooked ;)

The replacement Phasers utilize a thinner Thrust Washer.....Using the thicker originals would've resulted in zero camshaft endplay!! Refer to TSB 12-06-01-009F. The Phasers can be identified by the number of bolts holding the assembly together (4 or 5).

No local dealer had all 4 thrust washers....So I had to drive all over town to get them, It was @ 6pm by the time I got back to the shop & to hot to mess with it further.

The lower primary chain guide had lost it's shoe & Both secondary tensioners are pretty much maxed out.

KGzQhsM.jpg

r6Yk7AA.jpg

7OQimLE.jpg

dlED4wx.jpg

WiQqW3W.jpg

So @clinebarger I'm curious... if this was your vehicle and you had to pay someone to do this job would you pony up and pay the piper or just junk it and move on?

Someone remind me again how chains are so superior over built-to-be-replaced belts?

I'm only half-joking. It doesn't keep me up at night, but I'm mindful of it on my 2.3 in the Ranger, that long term, I might have to tear into something that was supposed to last for the life of the engine. The thought doesn't excite me. Maybe the turbo blows up before then or I get rid of it, but given my history, I'll have the truck for at least 10 years, so between that and GDI, 5k oil changes it is.

Someone remind me again how chains are so superior over built-to-be-replaced belts?

I'm only half-joking. It doesn't keep me up at night, but I'm mindful of it on my 2.3 in the Ranger, that long term, I might have to tear into something that was supposed to last for the life of the engine. The thought doesn't excite me. Maybe the turbo blows up before then or I get rid of it, but given my history, I'll have the truck for at least 10 years, so between that and GDI, 5k oil changes it is.
Heck, it makes pushrod engines look good too 🧐
I had a 3.5L Mopar that was quieter than my current Pentastar … belt vs chains ?
My 5.3L is definitely quieter than the chain gang motors

So @clinebarger I'm curious... if this was your vehicle and you had to pay someone to do this job would you pony up and pay the piper or just junk it and move on?

Spend $2,600.....Don't think so. Probably do what the previous owner did.....Trade it in. This vehicle is a "Auction Rat" bought by one of my car lot accounts., He's so desperate for stock that he'll buy near anything with 4 wheels. Still has to go to Paint & Detail along with 4 tires.

He was telling me buyers are even MORE desperate & will sign the dotted line on anything half decent, He's also quadrupled his down payment minimum.

As sleazy as the tote the note game is.....This guy actually puts decent stuff on his lot & quickly adjusted his pricing on old inventory & units in storage. He had over 20 GMT-800 trucks & 17 2004-2008 Ford F150's in storage before the "pandemic" hit. Most of the GM trucks needed transmissions & most of the Ford trucks needed engines......I bet he'll clear $50,000 all said & done on those alone.

Spend $2,600.....Don't think so. Probably do what the previous owner did.....Trade it in. This vehicle is a "Auction Rat" bought by one of my car lot accounts., He's so desperate for stock that he'll buy near anything with 4 wheels. Still has to go to Paint & Detail along with 4 tires.

He was telling me buyers are even MORE desperate & will sign the dotted line on anything half decent, He's also quadrupled his down payment minimum.

As sleazy as the tote the note game is.....This guy actually puts decent stuff on his lot & quickly adjusted his pricing on old inventory & units in storage. He had over 20 GMT-800 trucks & 17 2004-2008 Ford F150's in storage before the "pandemic" hit. Most of the GM trucks needed transmissions & most of the Ford trucks needed engines......I bet he'll clear $50,000 all said & done on those alone.
Guy at work just traded his Duramax AT4 with 30k miles … for a brand new Yukon XL AT4 … and left with cash in pocket

By 2012 the LLT 3.6 should have the updated timing components from the factory. It doesn’t guarantee you won’t have a problem, but the later LLT engines have far less problems than the earlier build LLT.

The LFX redesign addressed the timing chain issue entirely.
Did the LFX fix the problem, or just "address" it. I find it hard to trust them. How many years has it been out.

Why is there a LGY?

rod

After seeing this thread I think I’m done with BITOG. It’s truly disheartening to see what appears to be a competent mechanic take short cuts and potentially damage a vehicle further because “it was already damaged”.
Did I miss something? What shortcuts? Pulling the engine instead of doing it in frame? Aren't shortcuts the essence of the flat rate system?

My essentiallly free-to-me 2009 G5 has occasional start up rattle from the TC, even though the 09 supposedly was a better design.
No way it is getting this repair done, I’m just doing more frequent oil changes and using ‘cushioning’ additives to keep it going.
TC comes apart the car is done.

Did I miss something? What shortcuts? Pulling the engine instead of doing it in frame? Aren't shortcuts the essence of the flat rate system?

He's being a bit ridiculous and hung up on how the vehicle is racked.

Back