LLT 3.6L Timing Chains

2010 Buick Enclave with 140,xxx miles, Has the dreaded P0017 & P0008 DTC's along with a noise at the Timing Cover, It's getting all 3 Chains, Guides, Tensioners, Both Idler Gears, Crank Gear, & all 4 VVT Actuators/Cam Gears. Will clean the VVT solenoids while it's apart.

Using 100% GM OE updated parts @ $797.00 my cost....Which is actually cheaper than a Cloyes kit (Another great brand turned Chinese dumpster fire in my opinion)

Told my GM/Chevrolet parts guy that I've known for @ 20 years.......GM should foot the parts bill on every one of these that have less than 200,000 instead of making money on a problem they created.

I've done so many of these, I don't do about half the steps called for in the FSM (Engine Removal). Took a little over 2.5 hours to drop the powertrain.....Most of that is draining the coolant & power steering without making a mess. Job pays 14.6 hours.

TUGhZO9.jpg

fPAul2b.jpg

CSNGpd3.jpg

The owner of that vehicle might not be too happen to see you’ve crushed the rocker panel cover.

I'd hate to do one of those in a fwd...but at least it's pretty easy with it on the floor. We mainly got that engine in the Holden Commodore, which are rwd. Once you've got all the garbage out of the way and can see the timing cover it's an easy job. I know young guys who've done a few who can do then in 4 hrs, but for me it's an all day job.

Not only in Commodores, we've had this thing in the last couple of weeks.
IMG_20210705_092342.jpg

That's a J1 Bedford, and this is what is under the bonnet.
IMG_20210705_092333.jpg

That's a Holden 3.6, and doing the chains on this would be pretty easy....but they were done before it was fitted....so they say.

I've done this on 2 RWD cars and I see videos of doing this with the engine in the car of a FWD. Dropping the engine of a Texas car might be ok, but on a 10+ year old northern vehicle with rusty subframes and hardware, it could turn ugly with snapped bolts and seized nuts.

My 2010 Traverse made it to 170k before the dreaded cam position error codes came up. Same here, changed the oil religiously with Dexos-approved oil even though it wasn't originally specified.

My 05 Cobalt now has 338K. Decided it was time to replace timing chain, tensioners and sprockets. Has been quiet until a few months ago - developed start-up rattle. Replaced original tensioner but that didn't make much difference. Guides, chains, sprockets look OK, nothing visibly broken. Just worn apparently.

According to this video, it really isn't the OCI that matters with these early GM 3.6's, but rather excessive oil consumption causes by the older gasket design. Later gaskets addressed this flaw, at least according to this guy.

Mother's 2012 Impala 3.6 is at 150k and so far no noise or check engine light. It is using a qt between 5k changes with PP.
Wifes 2008 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 is running great, with 70K on the clock and 5K oil changes. Run Pennz Platinum and Wix/NAPA filters, no oil consumption between oil changes. ;)

Wifes 2008 Malibu LTZ with the 3.6 is running great, with 70K on the clock and 5K oil changes. Run Pennz Platinum and Wix/NAPA filters, no oil consumption between oil changes. ;)
Your Malibu has the port injected LY7 3.6 so regular oil changes should keep this engine lasting a long time.

Back