LL Bean quality

Despite living in the Northeast, I only ever ventured into an LL Bean store for the first time last year. I purchased a sweater but when I got home, I noticed a hole in the torso area. I was bummed out because it was a nice sweater and the last one in my size. I went back to return it and the associate said I was the second person that day that found a hole in their clothes.

Fast forward to this spring - I saw LL Bean had nice trucker hats and I ordered one online. Opened up the box to find the bill was incorrectly sewed on and the LL Bean logo patch was on crooked. I contacted their chat support and they wanted me to send pics to assess an exchange. Not wanting to deal with all that, I drove a half hour to the nearest store location to return it. I showed the associate and even he was surprised how defects like that passed QC. He tossed it in a box and said irregular merchandise like that goes to the outlet store (yikes!). They had the same hat in stock but as I browsed thru the rack, I noticed nearly all had messed up logo patches (some being worse than others)! I showed the associate this and he couldn't believe it. He offered me a $10 gift card for my troubles, which was a nice gesture.

Maybe I just got unlucky both times but I'm pretty hesitant to buy anything from LL Bean now.

I normally don't buy from LL Bean since most of their cloths are sized a bit too big but that's unfortunate, their hiking-oriented clothes are normally up-standard (and expensive!). Glad their store associates took care of everything for you.

LL Bean used to be the gold standard when it came to quality and customer service. I’ve still got a pair of Bean Boots I bought in the late 80’s. Their products seem to be overpriced crap these days, they charge for shipping, and their customer service is the pits. I haven’t bought from them in a couple of years and won’t again

I used to buy their Camp Mocs back in the late 80s. Loved them! They just got a little expensive so I haven’t bought them since.

Well, look on the bright side, at least you didn't get used toilet seats. The Home Depot sent me two used biscuit colored Kohler toilet seats. I ordered them separately. Then I decided to pay more at Kohler website hoping to get an unused one and they too shipped me a used seat. How did I know it was used? Because it had hard water stains in the seat, and for at least one, the rubber grips were already installed by the previous purchaser. Kohler threw a fit saying they don't sell used stuff, but I told them I am looking at hard water stains on a seat that hasn't even been installed and refusal to take these back would result in me filing a dispute and my credit card company already knows I made The Home Depot returns on previous seats. They said I can donate it to charity and gave me the return. I think the problem is that customers end up buying the wrong color and return them. But as I have told Kohler, they should not be selling used stuff. They should dispose of them as it probably costs no more than $5-$7 for one plastic seat. I had purchased two white ones at the same time and they had no issues.

Last edited:
I think a lot of companies that get a good reputation for quality later try to economize their products and live off of their reputation. I used to buy Land's End rugby shirts that were built like a tank but after a few years the weight of the fabric was noticeably lighter. Same thing with Duluth Trading Company T-shirts. Same thing with Moog suspension components.

Reactions: D60
I have a rain coat from LL Bean. Bought around 1988 (I know because I went to the UK in 1988). Still in PERFECT condition and oddly not out of style.

I bought an ultra heavy duty zip hoody sweat shirt from LL Bean for outside work and such. Lasted around 10 years. No complaints, just abused it to death. Bought a replacement of the exact same thing - supposedly - much lighter and zipper failed after a year or so.

Indeed, Duluth REALLY went downhill.

Now I buy UA stuff. Heck with it.

LL Bean used to be the gold standard when it came to quality and customer service.

Their stuff was truly good quality in years past. However, there are plenty of complaints now. Even so, mama recently ordered a pair of LL Bean moccasin slippers. The slipper complaints were "off the charts" "bad quality" "not like they were in the past" etc.

However, what we received was exactly like the 20 year old pair she had, just newer! I'm sure they will last forever!!

Used to order their clothing via catalog and have gotten some great stuff over the years. I think it's hit/miss like every other retailer now.

I've been buying camp mocs for 35 years. My main beef is that sizing is all over the place, never know how they'll fit, especially the lined ones.
This too as well. The sizing on the Camp Mocs will definitely be that way! When I bought my last pair,they were made in the USA and had Goodyear soles. Are they still like that? I think my last pair was bought back in 1987. These are the ones I used to buy:

I still have some goretex gloves from them I got in 1988. I now have a small hole in one finger, so I guess they are junk.

They have discontinued some items that I would like to refresh. The cotton jean sweaters are no longer offered. Seems only more upscale sweaters are on offer, and not all are offered in tall sizes.

I know my last pair of camp mocs were made in the USA,complete with Goodyear soles,and they were TOP quality!! Just like the old school New Balance running shoes that were made in the USA. Highest quality running shoes you could get, and had the Vibram soles. You couldn't find a better shoe.

I have 5 pair of camp mocs, assorted colors, all bought within the past couple of years. Oldest pair gets relegated to dog-walking duty. All made in El Salvador, as I recall. Some lined, some unlined, different sole styles, different sock liner styles, just a mishmash. I treat them as throw-aways, but since I can just slip them on, they get my vote. The leather quality is fine, but we have the world's roughest finish on the sidewalks in my subdivision, and it gobbles up the soles.

Back