LL-01 0w-30 recommendation

Hi All,

Coming up on an oil change in my BMW 335i F30. Currently running Castrol 5w-40 A3/B4 and would like something thinner for winter cold starts and improving engine efficiency. It looks like this engine (N55) can use BMW's LL-01FE spec oils which is a 0w-30. What other oils are available that are LL-01 or LL-01FE rated as an 0w-30? For my BMW my search would be for the cheapest LL-01 0w-30 I can find.

Looks like Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 available at Walmart is no longer LL-01 rated... bummer.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I've been using Castrol 0w40 year round in my E90. Since LL-01 is an obsolete spec, most of the oils you find will be LL-01FE. FCP Euro carries the BMW 0w30 in their oil change kits. Personally I've been happy with the performance of 0w40 Castrol and it is very easy to find. My friend runs either that or the Liqui-Moly 5w30 in his heavily tuned F30 335i and it runs great.

Looks like some Liqui Moly Special Tec B FE SAE 5W-30 is LL-01FE rate and would probably be a good pick. Could use FCP Euro's return policy to get some free oil changes...

Looks like some Liqui Moly Special Tec B FE SAE 5W-30 is LL-01FE rate and would probably be a good pick. Could use FCP Euro's return policy to get some free oil changes...

Ended up buying the LL-01FE Liqui Moly from FCP Euro. $62 for 10L and free shipping with the warranty policy. I’ll take it!

I've been using Castrol 0w40 year round in my E90. Since LL-01 is an obsolete spec, most of the oils you find will be LL-01FE. FCP Euro carries the BMW 0w30 in their oil change kits. Personally I've been happy with the performance of 0w40 Castrol and it is very easy to find. My friend runs either that or the Liqui-Moly 5w30 in his heavily tuned F30 335i and it runs great.
LL01 is not obsolete specification.
It was updated in 2018 where oxidation requirements (already being toughest in industry) were made more stringent. Oils that have higher natural oxidation do not fare well in full OCI test for new LL01.
However, for N55 any MB229.5 oil would do good.

Hi All,

Coming up on an oil change in my BMW 335i F30. Currently running Castrol 5w-40 A3/B4 and would like something thinner for winter cold starts and improving engine efficiency. It looks like this engine (N55) can use BMW's LL-01FE spec oils which is a 0w-30. What other oils are available that are LL-01 or LL-01FE rated as an 0w-30? For my BMW my search would be for the cheapest LL-01 0w-30 I can find.

Looks like Castrol 0w-30 A3/B4 available at Walmart is no longer LL-01 rated... bummer.

Thanks!
You need MB229.5 in N55 in absence of LL01. Updated LL01 is now targeted for newer engines too, and they have some specific requirements.
Castrol 0W40 will do good. Mobil1 0W40 will do good. Castrol 0W30 is still available on Amazon and Wal Mart web site.
Do not go cheapest. You are driving BMW. Cheap BMW is most expensive BMW. Always have that in mind.

Sounds like you already found a good oil, but if you're focusing on LL-01 oils you'll find very little difference between them, as LL-01 will have a minimum of 3.5 HTHS regardless of what it's marked. Most popular Euro 40 grades are barely higher than that so don't get hung up on 0w30 vs 5w40 unless you are in the Klondike.

Wally's is now selling Quaker State Euro 5w40 that is so thin some analysis show it in the 30 grade range, it's also LL-01 and 19 bucks a jug if you get an itch to try something else later.

Just to avoid confusion, you probably noticed it. OP went for LL-01FE, not LL-01. Personally I would avoid LL-01FE (HTHS 3,0 & 0W-30 only) and go either LL-01 or LL-04 (both HTHS min 3,5 from 0W-30 to 5W-40).

I know you said 0w30 but Amsoil 0w40 Euro does flow as a 0 weight when cold and gives excellent protection at operating temperature. It also meets the spec you stated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210623-195342_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210623-195342_Chrome.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
BMW yanked LL01 from 0W-x motor oils. So all LL01 oils start with 5W now. I don't know why they did it, but that's the reality of it.

“Flow as a 0 weight”?

And you sell motor oil?
Yes, I do

Short Answer: W stands for Winter​

“W” stands for “winter.” When oil grades are hyphenated (i.e. 0W-40), this indicates range of viscosity attainable with this particular oil, namely it behaves like 0 weight oil (less viscous) when it is cold or “winter” and thanks to viscosity modifiers (manufacturer added oil additives), it will behave like 40 weight oil (more viscous) when hot.

There is no such thing as a “0 weight” oil and it does not behave like one when cold even if there was.

By that standard the oil would thicken as the temperature increases which is something that defies physics.

Yes, I do

Short Answer: W stands for Winter​

“W” stands for “winter.” When oil grades are hyphenated (i.e. 0W-40), this indicates range of viscosity attainable with this particular oil, namely it behaves like 0 weight oil (less viscous) when it is cold or “winter” and thanks to viscosity modifiers (manufacturer added oil additives), it will behave like 40 weight oil (more viscous) when hot.
Wow…

I know you said 0w30 but Amsoil 0w40 Euro does flow as a 0 weight when cold and gives excellent protection at operating temperature. It also meets the spec you stated.
And also to be clear, what was stated was an approval not a spec. So in regards to the list you posted (and the original question) either an oil has the approval or it does not.

And also to be clear, what was stated was an approval not a spec. So in regards to the list you posted (and the original question) either an oil has the approval or it does not.
Below is the original post. Where does it say meets spec? The OP asked "What other oils are available that are LL-01 or LL-01FE rated as an 0w-30?" I offered a possible solution to his question and presented an oil that meets or exceeds listed specs. I never said it met the requested specs. I simply screenshoted the information off the Amsoil site for the OP to review. I thought that is what the forum was for? Sharing information and interest. So, go troll someone else

Hi All,

Thanks!

Last edited:
I simply screenshoted the information off the Amsoil site for the OP to review. I thought that is what the forum was for? Sharing information and interest.
Well technically you were promoting your Amsoil dealership in this and other threads. You are not the site sponsor. Ok to share and discuss, no ZO links, no self promoting.

Back