Living with a freeloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JustN89
As I understand it, with you not on the lease, you pay your portion of the rent back to the two individuals who are on the lease. This would simplify things. Keep track of the cost of items that he uses of yours and sit him down and explain that if he continues to use your stuff, you will deduct the value of those items from the amount of rent you owe him. It's still an inconvenience, but at least you get to recoup some of your money. Just wait until you get married. It gets worse.

^^^^THIS!^^^^

Originally Posted by avacado11

It's one thing if he's just lazy and doesn't want to physically go to the store to buy groceries/toiletries, another when he's getting cheap and using up everything just enough til there's 1/2 a use left so the purchase falls on you lol. I think that this guy assumes that since I can afford nice things I can also afford to support him.

I wonder if it's not that he's cheap but just mommy's boy and assumes that a house just comes with that stuff.

He may look at this place as a non-permanent living situation and not worth "setting up housekeeping" by buying boring stuff like this.

Does he leave dirty dishes in the sink, or have other indications that he's used to having people pick up after him as well?

Originally Posted by jcartwright99
Do you seriously not know what to do? You are obviously an adult so I am going to just make the assumption that your parents still don't run your life. That's why it's puzzling you would throw this question out to us.

The answer is clear: Have a house meeting and call him out. Lay the ground rules for going forward. If he can't abide by it, find a month to month place to rent because it will only get worse. No reason to live like that as an adult with real money. Try to keep it as cordial as possible since you work with him. The reality is that since you are not on the lease, you can leave the problem.

Agreed. This thread is borderline ridiculous. OP who obviously has the means to get his own housing (unless so overloaded in car debt that he can't qualify for a lease of his own). So the answer is simple if things get too bad.

My wife once had a set of roommates that weren't respectful of property. In the end they decided that there were no shared items, everyone had their own stuff. If they ended up deciding to do shared meals, they set a schedule and all chipped in.

If I got it right, OP bought a TV for the common area and now is mad when someone is using it? Simple, don't buy a tv to share. If you're all interested in an item for the common area, chip in appropriately and have a plan for when one departs. On lease or no lease, you're all not in this for life so don't contribute to a common pot more than essentials like heat and electric.

Label your food, put your property in a box that can be closed and latched, so that there's a need to snoop in others' private stuff to find something.

Set up a new way of doing things, explain it to them, and go with it. If they don't respect your approach, if not adhere to it, then leave. Pretty simple.

You need to be firm and don't let this guy take advantage of you or he is going to keep doing it. Tell him you want your extension cord now or just go take it when he is not there. Take the TV and put it in your room.

I let a friend from work live in my house(I live with my fiancee) after he got divorced. My house still has tons of my stuff in it. When he was moving out, I noticed a bunch of things missing that he had "borrowed". I kept asking for them and he kept putting me off. Finally I laid the law down with him and told him to bring my stuff back. My next step was going to be filing a police report for theft and then notifying the boss at work what was going on. We both worked law enforcement, he was still employed and I was retired. Luckily he brought my stuff back without me having to go with those two extreme steps but even though we were friends, I would have done it if he wouldn't have returned the stuff. I don't let people take advantage of me if I can help it.

Originally Posted by avacado11

I'm sure some of you have ran into trouble with housemates. How did you deal with it?

I have lived in shared housing with "friends" and I've sent them packing for not getting with the program. And I've never felt guilty about it..The longer you let this go on, the worse it's gonna get. Trust me on this one...

You're wayyyy to lenient. Grow a set and take this idiot to task. The two of you should CONVINCE him to get his crap together.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back