little consumption after going to M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 98 f150 with the 4.6 V8.

When I bought the truck it had castrol GTX 5w30 and a hastings/baldwin filter on it. Not a bad choice.

And the guy had a bunch of receipts for 4k oil changes.

The truck has 35k miles on it now.

I changed right over to mobil 1 5w30 for the summer with motorcraft filters.

The mobil1 is at about 2200 miles in the engine. It consumed about a half a quart in these 2200 miles, and the oil is very dark looking.

The inside of the valve cover looks amazing, zero varnish.

So is the mobil1 just cleaning up the system really well and consuming a bit?

Its not leaking a drop anywhere, and the motor runs like a top.

I am thinking of going to german castrol 0w30 next oil change if i can get my paws on some.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

I don't think that a 1/2 quart usage of oil in 2200 miles is much. Maybe the truck always consumed that much. I had a 1989 F-150 that faithfully consumed 1 quart per 2,000 miles from the day it was new to when I sold it @ 100,000 miles. It never got worse or better. The Ford 4.6L and 5.4L truck engines are notorious for having dipstick "problems". When you do your oil change did you note where it came to on the dipstick with 6 quarts. Because in some trucks, mine for example, 6 qts. will bring it to the top of the dipstick. My friend had the same engine in his truck and 6 qts. only showed halfway up the dipstick. Also checking the oil hot one time and cold another sometimes can make a difference. And the levelness of the ground the truck is on during a reading does can a difference

Whimsey

quote:

The mobil1 is at about 2200 miles in the engine. It consumed about a half a quart in these 2200 miles, and the oil is very dark looking.

I wouldn't worry about it. My first change with Mobil 1 gave me the same results. I switched at 83,000 miles and I had never had a consumption issue using Pennzoil 5w 30. After about 1,000 miles with Mobil 1 I'd used 1/4 a quart.

Right now I'm about 1,500 miles into my second change of Mobil 1. Just went and checked it, it's VERY dark but it's all still here. Zero consumption so far.

Hopefully yours will follow the trend.

The M1 is cleaning the engine from the previous oil and hence the early dark color. Doesn't mean much, but will take some time. As with the others, the M1 is a little thinner and maybe that is why consumption is slightly more. I'd stick with M1 for a couple of OCI's and see if consumption has changed any.

In these changeovers of high mileage engines, it is helpful to reduce the filter change interval by 50% for the first 10,000 miles. This will help capture the solid particles that are cleaned out by the synthetic and oil consumption will return to normal.

I see this cleaning and increased oil consumption effect a lot with Amsoil; hence the reason why they highly recommend using their engine flush before putting in Amsoil for the first time. Based on my experience, I'd flush any engine that has more than 30,000 miles on it using a petroleum oil, prior to using a 100% synthetic. If nothing else, it will thin out the old oil somewhat, so it drains more rapidly and completely ....

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

thanks gang.

I'll drain it at 3k and send a sample to blackstone.

20 bucks for a 5 quart jug at walmart of mobil1 5w30 is cheap, so I don't mind doing an early oil change.

The truck takes six quarts, and the dipstick really stinks. With six quarts and a new filter it reads a quart low on the dipstick.

Would 0w30 GC be a good oil to run in this motor, or should I stick with the mobil1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back