Listen to this blend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other day I changed the oil in my 1997 Thunderbird V8. I had a couple quarts of left over oil I have accumulated over time. My car has a 5 qt capacity so this is what I used: 1qt of Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, 1 qt of QSUD 0w20, 2qts of Formula Shell 5w30, and 1qt of Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30. It comes out to 4w26 lol. Anyone ever do any crazy blends like this? I wouldn't have, but I'm trying to get rid of some old oil. My car actually has never ran smoother, and I'm happy with how it turned out!

Oh, yea I do that in my Saturn.

Current Blend Running: 2 Quarts of MC5k 5w-30, Quart of FS 5w-30, Quart of Rotella T5 10w-30 & 1/2 Quart of Rotella 15w-40. A few splashes of MMO in between changes and she's good-to-go!

Originally Posted By: AdRock
I'm thinking of running 1/2 M1 530HM and 1/2 M1 540HM

M1 doesn't have a 5-40HM. How about 10-40HM?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: AdRock
I'm thinking of running 1/2 M1 530HM and 1/2 M1 540HM

M1 doesn't have a 5-40HM. How about 10-40HM?

Yea, I meant 10w40

Originally Posted By: austinlunsford
So the other day I changed the oil in my 1997 Thunderbird V8. I had a couple quarts of left over oil I have accumulated over time. My car has a 5 qt capacity so this is what I used: 1qt of Pennzoil Platinum 5w20, 1 qt of QSUD 0w20, 2qts of Formula Shell 5w30, and 1qt of Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 5w30. It comes out to 4w26 lol. Anyone ever do any crazy blends like this? I wouldn't have, but I'm trying to get rid of some old oil. My car actually has never ran smoother, and I'm happy with how it turned out!

Sound similar to the blends that I do for myself. 2qts syn/3qts dino. The PP & QSUD should be similar although others would argue and the other dino(s) PYB & FS can't be too far off.

Aren't all of the oils that you used, oils from SOPUS?

I have a feeling I will almost always be mixing oils with my current car. It only takes 4.5 quarts, and burns no oil (so i'll always have an extra half quart) and my wife's car takes 5.3 quarts (5.0 liters), and burns no oil either, so i'll have some leftover new oil from her car too since i never buy 5.0 liter jugs.

Well, there's the completely unknown blend that I have in my lawn tractor. It gets whatever leftovers I have laying around, including used oil from the valvetrain test rigs at work.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Well, there's the completely unknown blend that I have in my lawn tractor. It gets whatever leftovers I have laying around, including used oil from the valvetrain test rigs at work.

Same here. We have a 'tree' where we hang oil cans to drip into a gallon container overnight before we throw them out. It always yields more than one cup per 6 or 7 quart bottles.

That mixture is used in my 2 lunger Briggs powered lawn mower!

Wow, you guys really like to treat your lawnmowers with good stuff!

My Briggs gets whatever low mileage used oil comes out of my cars. So it could be any blend of 0W-20 to 20W-50 dino; usually averaging out in the 30wt to 40wt range.

BTW, I add a couple of oz's of RL Break In Additive to boost the phosphorus levels to at least 900 ppm when using light oils with lower levels of P.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: austinlunsford

Sound similar to the blends that I do for myself. 2qts syn/3qts dino. The PP & QSUD should be similar although others would argue and the other dino(s) PYB & FS can't be too far off.

Aren't all of the oils that you used, oils from SOPUS?

Yes they are all SOPUS products, I like QS, it's one my favorites. For my next change, I think I'm gonna go with 2qts QSUD 0w20, 2qts FS 5w30, and 1qt PYB 5w30!
I didn't know that this many people made their own blends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back