Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Yngwie Malmsteen
Buckethead
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Adam Jones
Dimebag Darrell
Kirk Hammett

A few others I like... Tom Morello, Zakk Wylde, Jon Schaffer, Ace Frehley, many more.

Looks like all the big ones have been named, however...

Glenn Tipton
KK Downing
Randy Rhodes
Jeff Beck
Brian May

And Steve Martin, on banjo.

Nice catch on George Benson...I just heard "Give Me the Night" on my mp3 player.

In the same vein, Robert Cray.

Also, just heard "Subdivisions"...so Alex Lifeson.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mustang_Cougar
Looks like all the big ones have been named, however...

Glenn Tipton
KK Downing
Randy Rhodes
Jeff Beck
Brian May

And Steve Martin, on banjo.

Same to you on Jeff Beck. I can never get sick of hearing Wired or Blow by Blow.

In only a general order:

1) Steve Howe
2) Eric Johnson
3) Steve Hackett
4) Steve Morse
5) Stevie Ray Vaughan
6) Eric Clapton
7) Brian Setzer
8) Jeff Beck
9) Brian May
10) Chet Atkins

(What is it with all the great guitarists named Steve or Eric, or Brian, anyway?)

And on bass:

1) Chris Squire
2) Geddy Lee

Not necessarily in any order and I am assuming in the rock genre:

1) David Gilmour - Simply beautiful sonics, check the solo out to Comfortably Numb, the 1994 Pulse tour among his other great works. Probably one of my favorite vocalists too.
2) Jimi Hendrix - First guy to really go outside the box on guitar styles... it's maybe hard today for some younger people to see how different he played, we are used to the sounds he got from his guitar but back when he started it was all new.
3) Pete Townshend - Way underrated... even his power chords have melody re: Quick One While He Is Away and again, another great singer too, just listen to Let My Love Open The Door
4) SRV - Loved his style, RIP, for moving guitar work see his Little Wing Fender tribute and any time he played with his brother.
5) Jimmy Page - The most fluid guitarist... he hardly looks like he is trying and out comes "The Hammer of the Gods" from his Gibson. Watch him in the 79 Knebworth performance of R&R... so fluid!
6) Mark Knopfler - I nearly fell over when I first learned he doesn't use a pick... wow! Multi-string master and very versatile in style. Love when he plays the Red Strat... "girl you looked so pretty to me..."
7) Kevin Cadogan - "Who?" Yeah I really like this guy, for those who don't know he was with 3EB in their heyday. He is the master at alternate tuned guitars and the resulting complementary sonics that go with his tuning. Master works include God of Wine and Background.
8) Steve Jones - "Are you serious?" Dead serious... he delivers power chords that include the low E string like a mailed fist. Even if you hate punk... his guitar work on The Bollocks is legendary. The rumor it was all Chris Spedding is not true, Jones could play.
9) Mick Ronson - RIP... Bowie always surrounds himself with some of the best guitarists in the business (Fripp, Gabrels, etc.)... Ronson was no exception... jittery and edgy, very curious sonics like they were from outer space which, of course, worked well for the Spiders phase. Watch him cover Fripp's guitar work on Heroes at the Freddy Mercury tribute like it was his own. Let's Spend the Night Together (RS cover) again with the edgy dive bomb sonics... and Ziggy too.
10) Neil Young - Melodic power chords and equally melodic solo work, again one of the guys that is so fluid, like the guitar is a part of his body... master guitar works include: Hurricane, Hey Hey, etc.

Guitarists that could easily go up top, I just flashed the list out quickly: May, Richards, Buckingham, a lot of the metal guys out there (Wylde, Rhoades [RIP], etc.), special mention who I should have put up top is **** Dale, he is a favorite too big time. I could go on... like we all could I am sure.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: MarkC
How many times have we done this kind of guitar solo or guitar player list this year?

Like a brazzilion. That's why I listed bassists.

You missed Tony Levin, but otherwise a fine list. :)

Brian May
Duane Eddy (childhood idol)
Joe Walsh
Robert Cray
Stephen Stills
Billy Duffy
Mike Campbell
Mark Knopfler
Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
brian_may.jpg

Jimi
Duane Allman
David Gilmour
Chet Atkins
Jorma Kaukonen [formerly of the Jefferson Airplane, but has since been a *stellar* bluegrass/ roots acoustic musician; really worth finding and listening to!]
Les Paul
Paul Simon [*really* listen to Simon & Garfunkel - This guy is a great picker!]
Jimmy Page [very sloppy, but pure genius]
Keef
Billy Gibbons [Hendrix said in a late night talk show around '70 that Billy Gibbons was the best guitarist in the U.S.]

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: MarkC
How many times have we done this kind of guitar solo or guitar player list this year?

Like a brazzilion. That's why I listed bassists.

I noticed that.
And what? No Juan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back